Utah Placer Gold

Discussions focused on gold panning ...

Utah Placer Gold

Post Number:#1  Postby Stoker » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:47 pm

I know, its almost an oxymoron but I believe that panning skills are still one of the most effective ways to locate gold, Placer or otherwise. Besides its fun. Does anyone here do much panning? Ive heard that one of the best places in the state to do it is somewhere near Cove Fort. Ive found some placer gold in Ut. but it is always real fine flakes like its been crushed and ground, very hard to keep in the pan.
Stoker

Re: Utah Placer Gold

Post Number:#2  Postby Whyte Eagle » Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:26 pm

A number of years ago I worked in a store that sold gold pans and other prospecting items. Old timers would come in time to time to replensih the things they needed, and sometimes they would bring some of their finds to show off ..... every single one of them said the same thing you did in your post Stoker ..... and everyone of them panned within the state. It's one thing I've never done before, but would like to try some day ..... does anyone have any good pointers on panning for gold?
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#3  Postby UTAH DOWSER » Sat Mar 30, 2002 3:14 am

ya use a dredge before you pan lol
UTAH DOWSER

Re: Utah placer gold

Post Number:#4  Postby Stoker » Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:20 pm

Whyte eagle,

What part of my post is the same thing they said? When they showed off their findings what did it look like? Any nuggets? What part of Utah was your store in?
Stoker

Re: pointers

Post Number:#5  Postby Stoker » Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:35 pm

The new style composite pans like the ones with rifles built into them are a good step up from the old style metal ones because you can scan them with a metal detector for one thing and the rifles and a qualifier can speed up the process quite a bit. Less weight when hiking is always nice too.

I recently picked up a rectangular pan called the grizzly pan that resembles a sluice. Havent tried it yet but looking forward too it. You can get a bag of nuggets from different gold panning suppliers on the webb, sometines for free. They are good to practice with. Basically use plenty water and try to get the dirt into a suspended state in the water, then the gold settles quite fast becasue of its density, and then you gently rock it back and forth and gradually let the dirt spill over the side. Its really not difficult at all, just takes a little patience.
Stoker

Post Number:#6  Postby lostreasureman » Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:48 am

i have heard that you can pan a little color out of currant creek,above the reservoir!

lostreasureman-- pontiac11@hotmail.com
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

Re: Utah placer gold

Post Number:#7  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:39 am

Stoker, The Oldtimers who'd frequent the store to purchase prospecting equipment all mentioned at one time or another that the best way to locate larger gold sources was to pan the areas you wanted to look in then follow the trail up stream. They all seemed to do it for the love of it, but they would show off nuggets once in awhile. The biggest one I ever saw was about the size of a nickel and belonged to ~curly~, he was probably the best panner of the bunch, and he alluded to other finds as well ..... I got the feeling from him that he did very well with his ~hobby~ and probably took home more than he'd say in public ..... I worked at the store 26 years ago and it was the Old ~Allied War Surplus~ store on 6400 S. and State .... I wished I would have taken more time to learn what they were offering then ..... but you know what they say about hindsight eh? ..... ;=) .....
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#8  Postby YutaTatanka » Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:38 am

If anyone ever wants to go pannin or dredgin or anythin like that, count me in! I'd love to try my hand, or should I say hoof, at those different ~arts~.

YutaTatanka
YutaTatanka

Post Number:#9  Postby JB Lapoint » Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:42 pm

a couple people who come to the forums have had luck up there but is it currant creek or that is the best spot to pan there bucket of dirt....hmmmm...something to think about

Joe
JB Lapoint

Re:Utah placer gold

Post Number:#10  Postby Stoker » Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:10 pm

I tried a little panning in currant creek once but didnt find much although some of the ~black sands~ that is commonly associated with panning was present. Maybe Ill have another go at it up there..

Maybe we could work out a date to have a panning rendezvous in currant creek....many prospectors are better than one. That should chap the fishermens hides. Image Image
Stoker

Re: Re:Utah placer gold

Post Number:#11  Postby lostreasureman » Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:58 am

sounds good to me ,we otta do it!would be fun to have a bunch up there pannin for gold!someone would be sure to find come color!!!!Image lostreasureman-- pontiac11@hotmail.com
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

Re: Re:Utah placer gold

Post Number:#12  Postby UTAH DOWSER » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:12 am

well if we can find a day that im off all bring 2 4inch gravity dredges so we can all have fun there is some side canyons that i would like to try up there that way out of site out of mind
UTAH DOWSER

Dredging .....

Post Number:#13  Postby Whyte Eagle » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:14 am

I've never known anyone whose used a dredge before, but I've read the comments in different topics about dredging activities ..... do you have to have a permit to use one? or only use them in are areas where they are permited?
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#14  Postby Blke36bimmer » Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:43 am

Gold??? In Currant Creek??? Thats madness I tell you, madness!! Look for a hole off to the west of the creek below the reservoir, I hear there is some good dirt there too!!

Image Blke36bimmer

Send mail to the inverted Porcupine

Blke36bimmer

Gold in Currant Creek

Post Number:#15  Postby Unregistered User » Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:47 am

A few of us went panning up Currant Creek at last years campout. Didn't find much! Color? yes, two.

Jim
Unregistered User

Re: Dredging .....

Post Number:#16  Postby UTAH DOWSER » Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:57 pm

tell ya what all show you the dredge and you tell me if it looks like a dredge you have ever seen lol all it looks like is pipe in the water so im just helping the water not get so bruised on the rocks bellow right Mr Jim lol.....Mr Jim find out about current creek area for us ok
UTAH DOWSER

Dredging Currant Creek

Post Number:#17  Postby Unregistered User » Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:27 am

Currant Creek is NOT on the ~approved~ list of dredging sites issued by the Division of Water Rights. For a two year permit application go to:

waterrights.utah.gov/strmalt/rds.pdf

Fill out the application on line with your name, yadda yadda yadda, print it on your printer, check off the streams you intend to dredge, sign it and then send it to the address marked. In about a week or ten days, you will have a dredging permit signed sealed and ready to go.

Jim
Unregistered User

Hole too the West

Post Number:#18  Postby Oro » Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:14 pm

An indian friend of my grandfathers told him back in the 1950's that the main Spanish mine in current Creek was on the West side of the creek. Might be the same hole ? There was a small placer camp there at one time,but they must not of found much becouse they all moved on...the same indian,and I can't remeber his name,(but I will)showed grandpa a place,he showed dad,dad showed me,and my sons know the ~genral area~.I was there one time with my grandfather before he died in 1972,I been shown pictures,but I can't remeber the day....to many trips too to many places for a youngster to remeber.Nad I have been there a few times with dad,but he has sworn off treasure hunting now.In Current Creek there are markings,monuments,and gold.Maybe no alot of it makes it to teh creek,but there is gold there...............And J.B,ya.That is something to think about. You get your butt up on Lake Mt. and find that Carre-Snob old Gifford wrote about....LOL......LOL.....LOL.. See ya in the hills.Oro
Oro

dredging permits

Post Number:#19  Postby Stoker » Fri Apr 05, 2002 3:10 pm

Mr. Jim,

Arent there some places that dont require a permit, it seems like all one needs to do in grantsville and a couple others is call before starting work, I could be wrong about the permits though.
Stoker

Speakin of Gifford .....

Post Number:#20  Postby Whyte Eagle » Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:02 pm

Hey, Speakin of Gifford, has anyone ever heard anything of him since he left the state?
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

RE: Speaking of Gifford

Post Number:#21  Postby Oro » Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:17 pm

Any of you like old Rock music? Here is some words to a song that reminds me of Gifford.I won't add the last part,we'll see if anyone can fill in the blanks:

This heres the story 'bout Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue
Two young lover with noth'en better too do
Than sit around the house,get high and watch the tube
But heres what happen when they decided to cut loose
They headed down too,Old El paso
Thats where they ran into a great big hassle
Billy Joe shot man while robbing his castle
Bobbie Sue ---- --- ----- --- ---

If you can fill in the blanks,reply or e-mail me orooro@prodigy.net it been awhile since I heard that song,but I'm sure thats how it goes. Oro
Oro

Re: RE: Speaking of Gifford

Post Number:#22  Postby Azide » Sun Apr 07, 2002 5:08 am

Oro....
Bobby Sue took the money and run
And did you know that...
Billy Mac is a detective down in Texas
And he knows just exactly what the facts is
He ain't gonna let those two escape justice
He makes his livin' off of other people's taxes...

Hope that helped ya a little bit.
And credit is given to the author of this song, don't wanna get in trouble with any copyright laws! LOL
Azide

Post Number:#23  Postby JB Lapoint » Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:52 am

dang it oro.....i done told you giffords hole is in whiterocks......daniels is lake mtn.........and kerry's is in indian country........so what your telling me is to stay away from currant creek???.......LOL
if and when i ever get back to currant creek it will be with the big gun from midway to show me the sites....LOL

Joe
JB Lapoint

Post Number:#24  Postby Oro » Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:05 pm

YEEHAAAAAA ! They headed down south and their still run'in today! I wonder if they went to Georgia..LOL...... A'well,you know it goes.....they come,they go.....Oro
Oro

Re: dredging permits

Post Number:#25  Postby mrjimsfc » Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:06 am

According to the Division of Water Rights, you must have a permit to dredge ANYWHERE in the state of Utah whether on public OR private ground. It has something to do with ~Stream Alteration~.

JimImage
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Next

Return to Gold Panning