Utah Placer Gold

Discussions focused on gold panning ...

Re: dredging permits

Post Number:#26  Postby UTAH DOWSER » Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:38 pm

but mr jim mine is just little old pipe in the water it dont make no sound cant do much damage dosent look like it would suck much lol are ya ready to do it again jim you got yours ready yet beem me up scotty theres no gold in utah
UTAH DOWSER

Post Number:#27  Postby lostreasureman » Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:53 pm

yup...thats what i hear......no gold in utah!!!! oh well......Image lostreasureman-- pontiac11@hotmail.com
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

Post Number:#28  Postby mrjimsfc » Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:27 am

Dowser: I'm so ready that it's hard to believe! Remeber, if you can't hear it maybe it's not there at all! Who am I to say? Soon as the roads clear up I have a few places that are not on the list I plan on checking out. I believe I have a line on the sluice box for a four incher. If I can get that going then I'll have two!

JimImage
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#29  Postby Stoker » Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:22 am

Seems like more often than not the first step toward finding Gold ~no matter where you are~ is believing that maybe you can.. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right.. Image

I found it very interesting when I recently learned that the worlds greatest source of Gold today, the 2 mile deep shafts of South Africa, have actually been classified as ~Placer Gold~. What Geologist could have possibly figured that one out before it was actually discovered? Those placers must be VERY old to be that deep!! 2 miles worth of errosion is a lot of monsoons..
Stoker

Placer Gold

Post Number:#30  Postby mrjimsfc » Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:08 am

When you think about it a little, that is what we are looking for in the Uintas. Ancient placers in the (Possibly Triassic or Jurassic) formations exposed along the flanks of the Uintas. Gold associated with intrusions similar to those at the Bingham open pit mine are unlikely in the Uintas.

JimImage
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Re: Placer Gold

Post Number:#31  Postby UTAH DOWSER » Mon Apr 29, 2002 3:29 pm

slim i hope you took good notes at the big z when you were talking to my guru at luch saterday about the gold on the south side lol
UTAH DOWSER

Old Placer Gold

Post Number:#32  Postby Satorilost » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:09 am

Has anyone tried dry panning. Some ex-inlaws told me about going out to the desert west of mercur area, in very old now dry river beds and small deltas. Dirty work, but what you did was put a few shovels full of dirt on blanket then two of you flung it up in the air and the wind would carry away the dust and light dirt after a few tosses you would have the heaviest peices left, sort these for big rocks. Put what was left into buckets and brought home to pan in the back yard with a hose. They showed me a little color they had found this way. Seemed like alot of work but if you found the right place might be worth it.
Satorilost

Re: Old Placer Gold

Post Number:#33  Postby Simbio » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:55 am

I don't know, I got plenty dirty Saturday, eh Whyte? Saw some color, but I don't know if it was worth the trip. I can play ~connect-the-dots~ on my arms and legs now. But it could all be worth it if you find the right spot.......
Simbio

Panning

Post Number:#34  Postby Satorilost » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:45 am

Is gold the only thing you can pan for? Silver, Diamonds, other metals. I did some panning on the upper part of the Yuba above
Nevada City. Didn't find anything though. That was OK it's beautiful
country. The guy I was with did tell me that some low quality diamonds had been found in the river there.
Satorilost

Re: Panning

Post Number:#35  Postby Pubah » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:44 am

I don't know how I have missed this topic - - I must not have been scrolling down far enough on the main page. . .

Current Creek - My understanding the Placer Camp that was there in the 1920 and 30's was below the reservoir. The Camp was on the flat, just above the Red Narrows, and the placer mining was in the narrows itself. Which leads to my question: doesn't it seem odd that so many of the old mines - spanish or otherwise seem to be associated with red ledges or cliffs or narrows? Now I have taken a look at those red ledges, and they are conglomeration rock, from what looks like an old lake or river bed. Could some of the Unitah gold be from ~Old Placers~ that were once along this old river or lake bed???

Someone commented before about getting together a panning expedition. How about a bunch of us going up to the Current Creek area and checking things out?
Pubah

Re: Old Placer Gold

Post Number:#36  Postby Pubah » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:48 am

Satorilost, you method sound time consuming and dirty. If you check out any prospector shop, they sell a variety of electic powered ~dry pans~ you just take a shovel full, take out the big stuff, and let it do it's work, without water!
Pubah

Re: Panning

Post Number:#37  Postby Oro » Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:28 am

Pubah........BINGO !
Oro

Current Creek

Post Number:#38  Postby zoloto13 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:56 pm

I did a little prospecting up Current Creek earlier this summer. Found one speck up stream of reservoir and nothing but cement like creek bed down stream. I'm sure its there, but....too much work for so little color. If someone happens to know a secret spot, or the trick to finding gold up Current, I sure would like to know.
zoloto13

gold panning in utah

Post Number:#39  Postby Unregistered User » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:30 pm

You need a permit to dredge, but if you just want to pan, you can do that just about anywhere in utah (except private land, private claims or state and national parks). You don't need a permit for it.

You might find a little gold in currant creek, but will probably find more consistent gold in American Fork/Tibble Fork(very fine gold, but lots of it), Willard Canyon or Notch peak/Amassa Valley/Miller Canyon (west of Delta) to name a few. There is gold in utah, but nuggets are uncommon. Bingham was the only place where nuggets were common in the state. smaller ~pickers~ are not uncommon at several locations across the state.
Unregistered User

Re: gold panning in utah

Post Number:#40  Postby Azide » Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:32 am

Anyone know why the GPAA does'nt have any claims in Utah? Or do they? I was watching Prospecting America on tv last night, and when they do their little pitch to get ya to join, they show sites where members can go dig for gold, but they never show anything in Utah. Everywhere else though. :~o
Azide

Post Number:#41  Postby Bret007 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:55 am

There was one GPAA claim in Utah in 2001, the Grouse Creek claim on the Utah Idaho border. Don't know if they have anything in the state now. About 10 years ago they had some arround Beaver, Marysville,Horseshoe bend on the Green River.

mrjimsfc, did you find some culvert? If not let me know I think I can help you out.Bret

scraper@etv.net
Bret007

Gold...

Post Number:#42  Postby Unregistered User » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:39 am

Gold is at a six year high. it is currently $351.00 an ounce. 10 days ago it was up to $385.00 an ounce. If theres a war with Iraq, Gold might get even higher. Some experts are suggesting gold might get over $400 maybe even $500 an ounce!

Maybe if I collect all of my family heirlooms, rings, braclets, golden plated tea sets etc. and I put them all in a big pile and melt them at 1945*F. I could then, pour the gold into a mold.

I would have a gold bar!

I could then sell that gold bar and get some extra cash to pay finances.

:"}

Or I could go hunting for Gold in Eastern Oregon.
Unregistered User

Re: Gold...

Post Number:#43  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:52 am

Eastern Oregon eh? ..... what a dilema ..... ;=) .....
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Gold

Post Number:#44  Postby Unregistered User » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:19 pm

That temperature would turn gold to gaseous state and you would lose it all!!
Unregistered User

ugpc.org

Post Number:#45  Postby Unregistered User » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:43 am

utah Gold Prospectors Club has several Utah Claims...been to Grouse Creek, prettyy lame and flooded marshes where the correct area was, never made it to creek bank...lots of water out ther in August, for the desert.

Marc
Unregistered User

Flooded marshes in Grouse Creek?

Post Number:#46  Postby mrjimsfc » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:30 am

Now that is hard to picture! I've been to Grouse Creek a lot of times and the only water I found was in the Etna Reservoir. There are a couple of marshes up Death Creek out of Etna, but that is private ground and there's no gold there anyway. You were probably supposed to be on that mountain between Lynn, Rosette and Yost or up near the Vipont mines 18 miles north of Grouse Creek and in a differnt drainage all-together (Snake/Columbia River Drainage). You would be very lucky to find any gold in either case. Over the history of the Utah Gold Prospectors Club, the best (most productive) trips were made to the Dolores River by Dewey Bridge. :~P

Jim
mrjimsfc

The Steve Miller Band

Post Number:#47  Postby Unregistered User » Thu May 08, 2003 5:13 am

Bobbie Sue took the money and run..... -/
Unregistered User

Who buys dust and nuggets?

Post Number:#48  Postby Tom Walter » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:34 am

Actually John W got it right. Au (gold) melts at 1947.52 degree Fahrenheit (1064.18 Centigrade) at sea level under standard conditions.

Who buys dust and nuggets these days? I know the larger nuggets are worth a bit more to Jewelry makers and rock hounds. I have friends who are sitting on several years worth of weekend rewards. Most is smelted into small bars (RCBS mold). With the price of Au on the verge of going up, I'm thinking it may be time to find a buyer in the metals market.

How does one calculate ones IRS tax form after selling out? Just what are the tax laws for selling gold anyhow?
Tom Walter

Post Number:#49  Postby Cat » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:28 pm

Azide hi,,,,well as a member of GPAA I thought I would just slip in the the little disc I got of claims guides an see what Utah has,,,I saw on the disc which is the same as the Claims Gide Catalog ,,,about twenty one seperate large placer gold areas in the State of Utah,,,,listed by countys,,,an with directions where they are at an what type of gold ,,,,an the regulations for dregeing,,,where u can do it,,,,an who to contact for permits,,,an the places ur allowed to drege,,,and even a form in there to fill out ,,,and they also have all the old lost treasure storys ,,,showing the different areas,,,,,now to address ur thing about claims,,,I didnt see any specific claims listed,,,,as partnered with GPAA,,,,,,,,but I know ,,that GPAA ,,,,,dont own claims specifically,,,,they,,,,,partner up with ,,, the original claim owner,,,an ,,, pay the costs for ,,,insurance ,permits, fees, taxes, etc,, an improvements,,survey it,,,,,for the rights ,,,to be able to have,,, other card carring,,claims permit holders,,of GPAA members,, share the original claim owners land,, an be able to go ,,prospecting on it,,,,,its a pretty good deal for all,,,,,but for some reason,,,unknown to me??? the Utah peoples,, aint listing their claims,, which they own,,,with GPAA,,,when they could ,,,an get some of their expenses paid for,,,,but what I read ,,,was alot of areas,,,in Utah do have gold,,,they have a map with all the placers marked out on it also,,,,and other maps,,,with all the treasure stuff marked out of the area,,,,,and like I said,,,a list of countys an the rivers or creeks in the countys,,,that have placers,,,and I saw ruffly ? nineteen or so countys listed,,,that aint including all the rivers they mentioned,,,LOL,,,so must be some gold up there LOL,,,,and I think this little disc,,of the claims guide,, for ten bucks more,,is well worth it,,,beats thumbing thru the pages,,LOL,,,of a big book about the size of a sears catalogue,,,LOL,,but I got that also ,,for that hands on in the field stuff,,,,,LOL,,,they also that stuff ,,,above for every state,,, in the united states,,an parts of canada an mexico too,,,,listing where stuff is,,placers,,,claims shared with GPAA,for their members an claims guide an permit holders,,,and plus all the neat lost treasure stores,,,for each of those areas,,,,lots of info directions,,,an maps too,,,,,and reports of the size of the gold being recovered,,,and for those of u ,,,who have ever been to,, a GPAA gold show,,u get to eyeball all the new , an old ,,gagets that find gold, the best , an see demos, an buy all the goodies,,,an check out all the gold ,,that others have found,,, or are selling,,,,and get some new pans,,and classifiers,,an u name it ,,,lots of goodies,,,metal detectors too,,,they got a internet site ,,,u might wanna check it out,,,,,see when there will be a gold show near u,,,an make a trip of it,,,,its like the fair of prospectors,,,LOL,,,once u are a member,,,, think u can even sell ur stuff ,,gold ,,,or what ever it is,,,,at one of the shows,,,lots of nice people,,,an familys all involved ,,,,in a healthy outdoor recreational activity an sport,,,,,,,,gesh I should get a discount on my membership that sounded like a comercial :~O but I have been a member over twenty years now,,,an they also help keep the lands open ,,for the little prospectors like us,,,,,when we ban together in a club,,,like GPAA ,,gold prospectors of america association,,,,,,,, :"} Cat 8-& ,,,,,,,,
Cat

Post Number:#50  Postby BriannasDad » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:35 pm

Well, if any of you have read any of the threads on this site, you would know that there is NO GOLD IN UTAH!!! 8-8 And that is just fine. Let them all think so, and the rest of us will collect on that $400 an ounce.

Hey CAT, anything on that CD of yours for Beaver or Piute or maybe even Iron counties?Brady
- Still Looking
BriannasDad

PreviousNext

Return to Gold Panning