Cart before the horse

Discussions focused on gold panning ...

Cart before the horse

Post Number:#1  Postby Ryanlarkin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:59 am

My 7 year old daughter wanted to get into gold panning after watching gold rush alaska. Being the supportive dad I went out and bought a couple books, panning set, Keene a52 sluice, rock hammer, shovel, multiple buckets, and even made my own version of a hand dredge. Now the only problem is that I don't have the "know how or where".
I would love to go out and do some hard work with anyone who would be willing to show me the ropes. I live in the Layton area. I don't want my daughter to go on the first outings until I figure out how to do it so she doesn't loose her excitement. We did a lot of rockhounding last summer and had so much fun, I want to keep her on that path.
Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
I have only five words for you; From my cold dead hands!
(Charlton Heston)
Ryanlarkin

Re: Cart before the horse

Post Number:#2  Postby mrjimsfc » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Keep the horse and cart in the barn! It's too cold out there to go panning right now. About the best panning I've found in Utah is at Crescent Creek down south of Hanksville about six hours drive from Layton. Roughly three hours drive north into Idaho you can find some pretty good gold in McCoy Creek east of Grays Lake. You can nearly always find a few flecks of flour gold in the creek near Mary Ellen Gulch above Tibble Fork in American Fork Canyon. On another forum there's a guy (1Ranger)from Nevada who wants to go on an outing near Osceola, Nevada and try some panning (about 4 hours drive). Right now though, it's better to settle down for a long winters nap.
:Zz:
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#3  Postby Ryanlarkin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:46 pm

mrjimsfc wrote:Keep the horse and cart in the barn! It's too cold out there to go panning right now. About the best panning I've found in Utah is at Crescent Creek down south of Hanksville about six hours drive from Layton. Roughly three hours drive north into Idaho you can find some pretty good gold in McCoy Creek east of Grays Lake. You can nearly always find a few flecks of flour gold in the creek near Mary Ellen Gulch above Tibble Fork in American Fork Canyon. On another forum there's a guy (1Ranger)from Nevada who wants to go on an outing near Osceola, Nevada and try some panning (about 4 hours drive). Right now though, it's better to settle down for a long winters nap.
:Zz:

Thanks for the winter warning. I wish I would have seen it before I went out today. I spent hours digging and panning in Willard and all I found was the fleck that is now my picture. My hands are going to be frozen for a couple days.
(Charlton Heston)
Ryanlarkin

Post Number:#4  Postby KsTHer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:13 pm

KsTHer

Post Number:#5  Postby Ryanlarkin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:34 am

KsTHer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnkg4b6EIxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrhsjVH_LO8

Thanks for the videos. They are helpful to get a general idea on panning. I might have been loosing some gold the way I was doing it.
(Charlton Heston)
Ryanlarkin

Return to Gold Panning