New To Metal Dtecting, Need Advice

Discussions on various methods of metal detecting ...

New To Metal Dtecting, Need Advice

Post Number:#1  Postby lerafe » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:26 am

Hello,
I am interseted in Metal detecting. I am looking for info on which detector would be a good starting place. I would like something that had some quality to it without having to take out a 2nd mortgage. A cheap price is important but not at a cost to efficiency.

Any advice is welcomed.
Thank You
lerafe

Re: New To Metal Dtecting, Need Advice

Post Number:#2  Postby lerafe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:07 pm

19 Views and no Replies?!?!
I was hoping some of the knowledgable members here would want to share some of that knowledge, with someone wanting to learn.
lerafe

Post Number:#3  Postby KsTHer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:03 pm

It seems that most of the regular forumites are very busy these days. Personally, I recommend that you look for a moderate price range metal detector 700-1000 dollar price range USED to get started. Look for metal detector outlets in your area and ask for a good used detector from that price range which you should be able to get at a greatly discounted price. I would say a good Whites XLT, DFX, MXT or similar price range metal detector should about do it. Tesoro, Fisher, and other brands as well should work for you. Are you wanting it for general use? These should get you started. If you are looking to do your detecting in the ocean (salt water), try a good Pulse Induction model. They can be pricey as well. If you are in a gold bearing area, try to find a goldbug or goldmaster. Decide what kind of hunting you are going to be doing before you start to buy a detector. There is a detector for nearly every application. There are two box metal detectors for finding deep caches or even finding caves. Let us know what you are planning to do so we can give more feedback based on your needs.

Ron
KsTHer

Post Number:#4  Postby KsTHer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Oh, I forgot to add that you might even check out pawn shops. They may have what you need, and you can try to bargain them down on their price. Just a thought.
You could also try Bounty hunter, but look for one of their higher priced models if you are serious. The only one that can answer that (whether or not you are a serious user) is you.
Ron
KsTHer

Post Number:#5  Postby lerafe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi KsTHER for the reply,

I too am from Kansas, I live in Topeka, so most of my "detecting" will be here in Kansas...at first.
I have thought of Pawn Shops, I was going to call some tomorrow. I am not sure of any distributors or clubs in this area.
I was kind of leaning towards trying to find a good quality detector used, but was unsure of which Brands were good or which to stay away from at this time.
Thanks Again
lerafe

Return to Metal Detecting