Excavating a deserted mine?

Discussion of various areas and aspects of mining

Excavating a deserted mine?

Post Number:#1  Postby dennemw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 pm

I was wondering if someone knows the rules of the Forest Service or BLM if I was to excavate an abandoned mine that no longer had a claim. It has been caved in but Im interested in getting into it. If Im am just using my own back and a shovel will I get in trouble with the forest service or BLM for digging it out? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

THanks

Dennem
dennemw

Re: Excavating a deserted mine?

Post Number:#2  Postby KsTHer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Was the mine closed by the Forest Service? If it was, they might have a problem with it. If not, you might send me a PM and I will try to get you in touch with someone who may be able to give you some answers. Even if it was closed by them, you may have some recourse at getting to do something at the mine.

Ron
KsTHer

Post Number:#3  Postby geogeek » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:04 pm

dennemw,

Surface control maps are now available online. Do the state and county search first, then any other information you have available in multiple search engines. Some states have more data available than others, however, the county maps can provide some of the best information for surface and mineral control (ought to). Whether it is hard copy (ought to be), or digital (also), the information is close. Sometimes the leg work is more productive than punching keys.

geogeek
If you can't find your glasses or your keys when you pressed the edge of late, go look in the mirror and open your hands. BTW, do you have oil in and for your lamp?
geogeek

Post Number:#4  Postby bonuntr » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:27 pm

Always check at the county recorders office, (in which the mine lies),to see first if it is a patented claim, and next to see if regular claims are staked on it. Could save you a lot of time and trouble.
So many mysteries on earth...so little time here...
bonuntr

Return to Mining