Large Gold Nugget

Discussion of the legends of prospecting stories and tales ...

Large Gold Nugget

Post Number:#1  Postby Lamont » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Here's one for ll of you prospectors out there.

Lamont

Re: Large Gold Nugget

Post Number:#2  Postby mrjimsfc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 am

Ahhh....Something to make my heart beat faster on a cold winters morning. :~d
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#3  Postby Lostaslost » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 am

Gold nugget worth $300,000 discovered in Australia
By Ramy Inocencio

Photograph of a 5.5 kilogram gold nugget found in Australia with a metal detector.

The man, described as an amateur explorer who wants to remain anonymous, unearthed a 5.5 kilogram golden nugget 60 centimeters in the ground outside Ballarat, a city about an hour and a half drive west of Melbourne.

Experts say the value of the find is at least $300,000.

"He came in to my shop at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday and had a grin from ear to ear," Cordell Kent, owner of The Mining Exchange Gold Shop, told CNN. "His eyes were sparkling."

The 47-year resident of Ballarat says that gold has been continuously found in the region since 1851, but technology has recently become an essential aid for modern prospectors.

"In the last 10 years it's gotten very, very hard to find nuggets over a kilo, so this (5.5 kilogram) one is extremely rare," says Kent. "In the old days miners could only see or feel gold - but now with detectors they can hear it."

A Minelab GPX Model 5000 metal detector was used to find the nugget, Kent says. In Australia, the machine retails for nearly $7,000, according to Gary Shmith, Minelab's General Manager for the Asia Pacific.

Shmith expects collectors may already be eyeing a potential purchase of the Ballarat nugget because of its rarity.

"My guess is that it would sell at 20% or 30% above its weight in gold. A nice, small nugget would already sell for 10% to 15% above its weight in gold."

Kent says the lucky prospector is back at work, "detecting right as we speak."

"He doesn't want anyone to know his bit of ground. There are only four people who know that he found it -- he and his wife and me and my wife. And he's hoping the one he found this week is a small piece and that there are bigger ones still out there."

While many people in the region have been searching for gold for decades, Kent's friend only started last year.

Other prospectors - old and new - will hope that they will be as lucky.

Ok the picture of the nugget is on the internet. I just typoed in recent gold nugget found in Austrialia and up it came. My wife had read the article to me when it first came out two days ago like the article says.

Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#4  Postby KsTHer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Now to do as well in Utah or Nevada... :kl:
KsTHer

Post Number:#5  Postby sanpete » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Want to see some gold=====Go to the 16-1 Mine web site
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpete

Post Number:#6  Postby ShayneThill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:27 am

5.5 kilogram gold nugget worth a lot. He must have a good gold detector.
ShayneThill

Post Number:#7  Postby Whyte Eagle » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 am

Or he's extremely lucky ... ;=)
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#8  Postby KsTHer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Actually he has a good gold detector (GPX5000) and is very lucky. A GPX 5000 metal detector is a great tool, but it doesn't work miracles. There has to be gold there to begin with. Some of the claims about the GPX 5000 indicate that it is a very good gold metal detector. I have heard that it could pick up a gold nugget much smaller than the one shown here at up to 12 foot deep. I can't prove or disprove those claims, but I know that it is a very good detector. Hopefully some friends of mine can make good use of the GPX 5000 that they have in their possession at this time. :kl:
KsTHer

Post Number:#9  Postby ShayneThill » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:47 pm

:rofl: nice detector.
ShayneThill

Return to Prospecting