Prospecting locations in early newspapers

Discussion of the legends of prospecting stories and tales ...

Prospecting locations in early newspapers

Post Number:#1  Postby Argenta » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:03 pm

Here is an article from the Richfeild Reaper, Nov. 21, 1907.

"A Mr. Tanner, from Colorado who was sent by Colorado people to develop
a copper proposition in the neighborhood of Tropic, Utah, while waiting for some matters to be adjusted some days ago, took several of his men and went out prospecting. They made a wonderfully rich gold find about two miles west of Tropic. The Tropic people are all excited over the find and are striking all the country around. The find shows that the rocks have been brought up from below in the nature of a blow out and free gold can plainly be seen in the ore."

Bryce Canyon is located south of Tropic, Utah. :)
Argenta

Re: Prospecting locations in early newspapers

Post Number:#2  Postby mrjimsfc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:16 am

Argenta wrote:Bryce Canyon is located south of Tropic, Utah. :)

Uuh, you mean west of Tropic? :?
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#3  Postby geogeek » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:15 am

You guys give me a no buns experience on this one. I am so dislexic and ADHD that I am going in the wrong direction at close to 180 degrees real fast all the time, but this just was a close to fall out of my chair deal.

Seriously though to both of you. Remember the oldie? "Gold is where you find it". Please, have mercy on me! I can handle only so much during my 'pooter time. Puhlease!!!
If you can't find your glasses or your keys when you pressed the edge of late, go look in the mirror and open your hands. BTW, do you have oil in and for your lamp?
geogeek

Post Number:#4  Postby mrjimsfc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:09 am

Geogeek: What did I say wrong? The Bryce Canyon Lodge is about 5 1/2 miles northwest of Tropic and the southernmost extents of Bryce Canyon, "Rainbow Point" (end of the road) is about 13 1/2 miles southwest of Tropic. The whole thing is west of Tropic! Gold IS where you find it but the results are unmistakable! Look at the mountains by Eureka (Tintic) for an example. You don't see that west of Tropic.

Now get off those pooterized flabby buns so you can find some fabulous gold strike and lose it again because your dislexic ADHD self was lost ;=)
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#5  Postby geogeek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:37 am

mrjimsfc,

I know where it is. I had to write an apology to keep employment at one time. Did you ever pursue the Slickrock Colorado thing? I did not intend to stall you on the deal, I just gave the information I had from personal field work/play that I thought is useful. I have some great lab stuff too. I will show you if you want to see.

Another thing, my buns are too skinny to be flabby. If you want to go see what I know, you are buying. Who got caught in that fishing episode? Do smile.
If you can't find your glasses or your keys when you pressed the edge of late, go look in the mirror and open your hands. BTW, do you have oil in and for your lamp?
geogeek

Post Number:#6  Postby geogeek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:55 pm

OK, no digs and listen carefully. There is gold in that thar sandstone and in all those sediments. Arrrgh, the coal too!

Actually I wanted to do my masters degree on the thermodynamics of the evaporites of the Colorado Plateau. I am still a BS full of BS driving forumites and administrators crazy. Put me in school so I can study this. I have done much on my own time.
geogeek

Post Number:#7  Postby Argenta » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:09 pm

When your lookin' for gold, you go where it's been found before 'cause not many have the time to sample new ground where nobody's found it before. I had never even heard of Tropic, Utah when I came accross that article. Thought I'd share the info. here. Not sorry either. Hopefully someone has used the info. to recover some of that ellusive metal and made a few bucks on the high price of gold of this time. :)
Argenta

Giveaway

Post Number:#8  Postby geogeek » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:44 am

I am out to to tell what I can in an understandable way to all I am able. There is a tremendous amount of gold out there. Here is the thing, would you rather have eggs, toast, and bacon for breakfast, or a lump of gold. I assure you a nice green salad with a fine dressing is better than a big bar of silver. The catch is, that at this point in time, paper and cheap coinage dominate our monetary system without any real hope of wrapping your hand around gold or silver in it's coagulated atomic state to the degree you are not handling plated junk or over-expensive jewelery.
geogeek

Post Number:#9  Postby geogeek » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:08 am

Did I mention trying to eat a digital transfer? Oh yeah, back on topic.

I researched newspaper accounts of metal strikes many times. Sensationalise it, glorify it, make it pretty when it is ugly, make it ugly when it is pretty, do a mindclog on a perrfectly good student of science.

Glean what you can out of journalistic articles, but realize that there is so much hype that goes with it for the sake of the story that it becomes a fairy tale.

I am not saying there is not something there, but you need to remember there is a journalist there scratching for a paycheck whether what is written is stretching the reader, or just flat out bullshitting the reader.
geogeek

Post Number:#10  Postby geogeek » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:21 am

I am a hard guy becoming harder every day. If I irritate you it is because you are doing something way, way, way, wrong. Why did people get suckered in the 'Gold Rushes'. It was the newspapers. C'mon, am I going to stand alone on this one. There is much more.

I can hear the argument now. I resist.
geogeek

Post Number:#11  Postby Argenta » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:27 pm

That's why some poeple find gold or silver and some don't. Theres those who tend to debunk the articles as being bogus, while those who do find what they seek are wise to sit back, smile at the clueless people and keep digging or slucing out those metallic particles that nature has left for us.

Sometimes the accounts are overly stated, but go out and have a look around. I have to some places and have found some good rock. Not every time, but every so often. Takes patience and sampling. Luck can play a big part too. The ground is like a newspaper. You have to read it to get to know it. Look for different colored ground. Orange-brown dirt is promicing. A streak of red soil or black stains on the rocks, or some specks of copper or pyrite are good signs too. You may have to crush up and pan out alot of rock before you find the host rock.

While quartz tends to be what people look for, don't overlook schists. I once found some small, baseball size pieces of a pearly pinkish purple mica-schist which resembled talc and was speckled with tiny crystals of gold. Though I spent hours combing the ground for more of this rock, I came to the conclusion that it must of been dropped by someone long ago. (Lichens were growing on a piece of it.) That is very frustrating is you ever have this experience. But though I remember it, I don't waste my time crawling around the ground or digging holes looking for more of it. Just move on. Same with stories which may prove to be fiction. But then again, there could be truth there too. Takes time to read the ground and sample.

So you can be skeptical if you want to be. Or you can be currious and take some time to look around abit. It takes money to buy food, shelter and clothing and land. You can't eat gold, but you can't buy food without money. Money isn 't evil. It's a tool we use to aquire what we need to live on this planet for the time we have. What would we be without items of value to trade for things we need to survive? Cave men I suppose? :roll:
Argenta

Post Number:#12  Postby geogeek » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 pm

Argenta,

I was not attacking you. I did say glean what you can from a journalistic article. Personal caution while pursuing what is written in those articles is wise. And yes, you are correct, I have seen quartz veins 30 feet wide that are not worth dealing with, ask Mesa Buddy about Rich Hill. I have also seen sandstones that defeat hydrothermal bulk veins considerably in precious metals. The metamorphics, yes. What about evaporites? It is not my position to be a jerk, but I know journalists who will tell me they sstrrrrretttcccchhh things for a story. A legal stretch, but a stretch still. Production records are more accurate and are available. The USGS department of Geochemistry has good maps at a cost, however that cost is much less expensive than relying on a journalistic discourse when it comes to expending your money on a field trip. Please, I was not attacking you. Just being real. I do love you all,

geogeek
geogeek

Post Number:#13  Postby Argenta » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:02 am

Geogeek, I never would think you would. A differing of oppion isn't attacking, it's just expressing a different viewpoint. We all see life from various angles and express those angle's differently. Often times, the local paper reporter would try to get the story out of a prospector because his readers would buy up more paper's. Some prospectors were egar to find a buyer for their find, while others would either keep quiet or let slip some cryptic reply. The ground around any rich strike was usually bought up so that others might profit by a quick sale. That's what prompted Mark Twain to remark that a mine consisted of a hole in the ground and a lier on the dump. But you have to read into Mark Twains past when he was a reporter for the Virginia City newspaper-I don't recall it's name. His experiances show why he became so skeptical. It's understanding why so many become skeptical when they can't find any rich rock. Lots of clues and cryptic signs, but say, why is there a depression in that spot? You have to be currious. You have to read the land. Your never going to find a sign saying "rich gold found here!" Course, that would be interesting for a candid camera episode. lol. ;=)
Argenta

Post Number:#14  Postby geogeek » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:30 pm

One day years ago(early 80's actually), I was bored without gas money. I panned some of that red farm dirt and found around 7 20 micron specks per pan. Not a bonanza, but a light switch. It is rare that I run a pan carefully from about anywhere and not find gold. Star stuff.
geogeek

Post Number:#15  Postby geogeek » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:44 pm

The interesting thing is the dispersion is quite constant when the particles are very fine. Initally I went hunting and found distribution constant. It seems counter intuitive, but the physical concentrations did not vary. The soil is a loess. Wind blown deposit. My first searches were those wind riffles. Same Same. Frustrating, yes.
geogeek

Post Number:#16  Postby geogeek » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:57 pm

I did find higher concentrations, however, planting a garden in that same soil is much more profitable. Yum Yum I love veggies.

On topic. When I run a pan carefully from about any location and the observers ooh ah at the results, it is difficult to explain that as neat as it looks, it is not worth getting overexcited about, or maybe not excited at all.

I am not trying to kill the prospecting spirit. Just be knowledgeable in your pursuits. Be careful in what you read, even this post, test me. Once again, I love you all,

geogeek
geogeek

Post Number:#17  Postby Argenta » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Do you like chicken too? I read about a man who bought a chicken and took it home for his wife to kill and cook. Inside the stomach of the bird was found a gold nugget of about 1/4 oz. This was at Battle Mountain, Nevada in the early teens of the last century. The chicken must of ate the nugget prior to being sold. Lot's of strange items pop up occasionally in the news. And as with this one, won't lead anyone to treasure, but it's still interesting!
Argenta

Return to Prospecting