robbers roost-hanksville

Discussions of other treasures and related items ...

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#1  Postby lostreasureman » Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:59 pm

have any of you ever chased the possibility of a cache of lost treasure on the mesa known as robbers roost near hanksville utah?this mesa was the hangout of many a western outlaws over the years and the possibility of a cache of outlaw treasure is very good there.i have heard that there is a way to the top of this mesa from the ground ,but is difficult to find.once you get to the top there is the remnants of a cabin built into the side of a cliff!i have heard there has ben some prety kool relics found there,but no word on any treasure yet!:hat !
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#2  Postby mountain fox » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:54 pm

:eek treasure man ; Sounds like a good idea to me with good possibilaty is this area private now or what. One thing for sure if you dont look you cant find. Mountain fox 8o
mountain fox

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#3  Postby lostreasureman » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:03 pm

supposedly ,tha caches are on two completely different mesasthan where tha hideout is....blm property....i have done some heavy recearch on this area and caches....i have some real good clues and a idea where these mesas are!!!:hat
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#4  Postby InspectorClueSo » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:10 am

You have some bad information! I am meeting with people (again) in about a week and a half that have been there more than once. They were shown how to get there by none other than George Thompson. There is a cabin on top (not in the cliff). There has been things found there. There are well intack horse corrals on top. The trail up the side is not pasable and it is hard to get to. I have not been there but they have offered to take me. I have a published article on it somewhere--I think by George Thompson, with photos of the cabin and corrals. Also a photo of a hole and a small milk can (can fits in the hole exactly) with the bottom rotted out next to a fire pit outside the cabin. KDS 8o
InspectorClueSo

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#5  Postby Redcloud » Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:52 pm

The best way to see that mesa is from the air, I seen the stone cabin on the mesa while on a CAP flight. There is a trail in one place on the northwest side.,,,,,,,,,,anyone want to go flyin, I'll show it to ya,,,,,,kinda hard to pick up relics thou
Redcloud

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#6  Postby Bret007 » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:25 pm

Is this one the one George T. in Some Dreams Die calls the newfound Robbers Roost? If one of you guys would not mind talking I would like to know where it is. Been quite a topic around here for a long time.
Bret007

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#7  Postby Redcloud » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:42 pm

I didn't read Thompsons books, but this cabin is most certainly a hideout, it would be very hard to get to on foot, if a posse was trying to get up there, on man could spoil the attemp very easily,,,,,,,,,
Redcloud

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#8  Postby Bret007 » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:01 pm

Are ya saying I have to go for a plane ride to find out where it is? :o :x :eek
Bret007

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#9  Postby Redcloud » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:31 pm

No,,,,,,,,go west from Hanksville, as I remember 10 miles, theres a very big butte on the south side of the hiway, this butte has a 400 ft cliff all the way around it except for one little trail going up the northwest side. the top of the mesa is, as I recall, approx. 40 to 60 acres. the cabin is a little east of center.,,,,,,,,,,good luck
Redcloud

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#10  Postby lostreasureman » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:13 am

hey joesky... id love ta go fer a fly over robbers roost ta check it out....im gonna be doin some explorin in this area this summer and would like ta see it from above...ta study it more!!!ya have my e-mail...lmk!!![/font]:hat
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#11  Postby PTCarroll » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:32 am

Is it just SE of Caineville, on the S side of the Fremont river there? Looking at my topo maps, it shows a big honking U-shaped mesa there, called the South Caineville Mesa, about 13 or so miles from Hanksville.

Hum, there's also a big mesa to the North as well. It looks like that might be more convenient to search, since you wouldn't have to find a way to cross the river. Is that a good place to look first? (Okay, sorry, just a joke...)

Here's the topo map for the South Caineville Mesa:

www.topozone.com/map.asp?...-111.01806
PTCarroll

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#12  Postby Bret007 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:04 pm

Sounds like a different one.
From Some Dreams Die
A local pilot flying north from the canyonlands country spotted an old log cabin atop a nameless mesa, and while making a turn around its vertical clifs to take a closer look spotted two more.
There is more directions but I doubt they would be much good, I think George liked to tell about places but did not want to make it easy to find them.
Bret007

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#13  Postby Redcloud » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:22 pm

where would the have goten the logs?,,,,,,,,theres no trees on top of those mesas!
Redcloud

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#14  Postby Herb » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:57 am

I think there are several stories all mixed up here. If I recall correctly, Thompson tell of a mesa about half way between Green River and Hanksville where some bank robbers would hide thier gold loot before going into Hanksville for some recreation. There are a couple of large buttes or mesas in that area, Little Flat Top and Big Flat Top. They are south east of the road going into Goblin Valley. There is a good road that will take you right out to them. Robber's Roost in another matter, it is ESE of Hanksville about 15 miles and supposedly in Robbers Roost Canyon which drains into the Dirty Devil River. There is an old landing strip left over from the uranium mining days about 5 miles east of there. There are roads going into there also coming in from the east. South Cainville Mesa does in fact have a trail leading to the top on the northern side. It is used annually by the local sheep ranchers to drive thier sheep up on top to graze. At the top of the trail they have some timbers that they use to close off the trail to keep the sheep up there. There is no other way up except from the air. I haven't heard of a cabin up there but it wouldn't surprise me. If you are into hiking there is no problem getting across the Fremont River, Hwy 24 crosses it about 3 miles SW of Cainville. The area to the west of South Cainville Mesa is know as the Blue Hills, a vast region of a blue/grey clay like substance that has been the study of erosional processes since the early 19 hundreds. This is a very desolate area and if you decide to go into there be sure to carry lots of water. There are also several ancient ghost towns not far from there, to the west is the site of Pleasant Creek and Aldrich just to the east of there. To the east toward Hanksville is Giles and Elephant. Most were abandoned due to the frequent flooding of the Fremont. If you are interested in hiking this country there is a nice motel right in Cainville.
Herb

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#15  Postby lostreasureman » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:27 am

kool...thanx fer tha info herb....i plan on checkin out this area this summer!!!!!:hat
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#16  Postby Herb » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:19 am

Let me know if you want some company, I live just a little west of there. Don't wait too long to go, it normally is above 100 degrees in the summer, sometimes 110-115 and not a tree in sight.
Herb

robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#17  Postby lostreasureman » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:26 am

soundz good....ill get some dates together and contact ya.....i always enjoy company on a expedition!!!!!:hat
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

Re: robbers roost-hanksville

Post Number:#18  Postby desert joe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:27 pm

So I can see that this thread is pretty old. I was reading through it and was wondering if anyone has any new information here.
desert joe

Return to Treasure, Other