Sacsayhuaman

Discussions of ancient architecture and related items ...

Sacsayhuaman

Post Number:#1  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:09 pm

This walled complex just outside of Cusco, Peru is part of what used to be the capital of the Inca Empire. The crazy part about this wall, however, is in the details of its construction. The rock slabs fit together so tightly that it would be impossible to slide even a hair between them. It’s a testament to the precision of ancient Incan architecture ... So ... how did they do it?
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Re: Sacsayhuaman

Post Number:#2  Postby elgatodelnoche » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:38 pm

I came here thinking you were going to tell me how it was built. LOL I want to say that the folks who built this had knowledge of how to liquify stones. I remember somewhere reading about a plant that would soften stone and is native to this area, but I cannot remember where I heard it or the name of the plant. But the problem with that is they could just cast them into bricks at that point instead of making them all different shapes. Supposedly the natives witnessed some birds taking the plant and rubbing it on the cliffs then pecking out nests and that is how they discovered that the plant softened the stone.

Maybe they only needed to soften the edges that would fit up against the previous stone to get them to fit together.
elgatodelnoche

Post Number:#3  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:02 pm

I've heard of the same story ... maybe that's how they did it ...
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#4  Postby vedfrenn » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:45 am

elgatodelnoche wrote: I remember somewhere reading about a plant that would soften stone and is native to this area, but I cannot remember where I heard it or the name of the plant. But the problem with that is they could just cast them into bricks at that point instead of making them all different shapes. Supposedly the natives witnessed some birds taking the plant and rubbing it on the cliffs then pecking out nests and that is how they discovered that the plant softened the stone.

The explorer Colonel Percy Fawcett wrote about it in his diary from his explorations.
vedfrenn

Post Number:#5  Postby mrjimsfc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:37 am

elgatodelnoche wrote:I came here thinking you were going to tell me how it was built. LOL I want to say that the folks who built this had knowledge of how to liquify stones. I remember somewhere reading about a plant that would soften stone and is native to this area, but I cannot remember where I heard it or the name of the plant. But the problem with that is they could just cast them into bricks at that point instead of making them all different shapes. Supposedly the natives witnessed some birds taking the plant and rubbing it on the cliffs then pecking out nests and that is how they discovered that the plant softened the stone.

Maybe they only needed to soften the edges that would fit up against the previous stone to get them to fit together.

Limestone is rapidly dissolved in acid. perhaps the birds were using citric acid found in fruit to make holes in the limestone cliffs.
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#6  Postby Uley Bauer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Some years ago, I saw a documentary showing how by moving a large stone back and forth on another large stone they could mate the two surfaces together and produce a tight fit in a wall. Maybe others have seen the same episode?
Uley Bauer

Post Number:#7  Postby geogeek » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:14 am

Just asking. Are there tooling or scour marks on the fitted surfaces?
If you can't find your glasses or your keys when you pressed the edge of late, go look in the mirror and open your hands. BTW, do you have oil in and for your lamp?
geogeek

Return to Ancient Architecture