Woman finds ancient artifact in baby shark

Discussions of the unexplained and related items ...

Woman finds ancient artifact in baby shark

Post Number:#1  Postby Newsman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 pm

By R.S.N. MURALI

MALACCA: A baby shark being prepared for lunch gave a family here a big surprise - an ancient artifact believed to be dated long before the Portuguese conquest of Malacca.

Housewife Suseela Menon, from Klebang, made the priceless discovery while filleting the fish for lunch.

It is believed to be a medallion worn by the Portuguese soldiers, presumably as a divine protection, during their conquests in this part of the world in the 16th century.

One side of the medallion is a profile of a woman's head with a crown and encircled by a halo and an inscription that is unclear.

The other side is a crucifix with an engraved inscription that read ANTONII.

Rare find: Suseela showing the artifact she found inside the baby shark’s stomach

Checks with a local historian revealed the head engraving could be that of Queen Elizabeth, the consort of King Denis I of Portugal during his reign from 1271 to 1336.

Suseela said she immediately cleaned the medallion and preserved it in a box.

“I bought two sharks from the wet market and was taken aback upon discovering the object inside the stomach of one of the fishes,” said the 47-year-old mother-of-two at her home yesterday.

Suseela had wanted to prepare shark curry for her husband.

“Finally, my husband decided not to eat the fish as the object seems to be a religious item,” she said.

The medallion is 7.4cm long, 6cm wide and weighs 10g.

“My husband feels it is a blessing for the family to have the medallion coming to our home from beneath the sea. We will always cherish it,” said Suseela.
Newsman

Re: Woman finds ancient artifact in baby shark

Post Number:#2  Postby casca159 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Found it in a shark? Ill have to remember that one.
casca159

Post Number:#3  Postby Tanelorn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm

You can also use this one "Man finds bar of gold in squirrel..." LOL
"Pack it in, pack it out. Keep our wilderness pristine."
Tanelorn

Post Number:#4  Postby littlered » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:49 am

The bar of gold in my dream is to big to be in a squirrel, but if it happened I would be sure to tell everyone. littlered
littlered

Post Number:#5  Postby mrjimsfc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:02 am

I suppose this woman always cuts open the fish's stomach to see what it has been eating ....... or if it has swallowed someting valuable? I met a man once who showed me a gold coin he claimed he took from the stomach of a deer he shot. He also had the newspaper write-up of the incident. I question what kind of deer hunter EVER deliberately cuts open the stomach of a deer when he is cleaning the thing out? Yeah, that's what I thought too. :~o
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Return to Unexplained, Other