The BEST thing to do?

So you found the mother load ..... now what?

The BEST thing to do?

Post Number:#1  Postby Sheba » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:25 am

Okay, say *hypothetically, of course* you find some ancient treasure... what do you do?

If it is gold, say, can you convert this to cash somehow? Where? A pawn shop? What?

If it is more of a historical/artifact deal, what then? How do you keep from getting screwed? Who do you tell? University people? Historical society people? Museum people?

Everything you find came from your own private property, right? Or private property you have permission to be on? What if you come across something on government property? Or reservation?

First rule of Fight Club- There Is No Fight Club.
Second rule of Fight Club- There Is No Fight Club.

;=)
Sheba

Re: The BEST thing to do?

Post Number:#2  Postby Sheba » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:58 am

Hmmm... nobody's talking I guess. So either no one's actually run into this problem... or... people are not inclined to share findings at all for fear of looking like a loon... or... everyone already has their private contacts lined up and ready.

Alrighty then. The cheese stands alone.
Sheba

Post Number:#3  Postby Lostaslost » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Anchiet Treasure! Well it an't yours. It is our governments under the antiquieties law. This law was desgned to make our government legal theives. Good luck and be careful and or it will be like, Now you see it and now you don't!

Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#4  Postby KsTHer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:14 am

Sheba,

Lostaslost is right. The government has done a lot to take away our rights. As soon as you turn your find in to the government, they will probably just go out and sell it so that they can get a financial shot in the arm (which by the way will not benefit the public). If you take it to the archaeologists, they will just sell it on ebay. Either way, you are the loser. Your best bet is to find a museum close to home which agrees to publicly display your find. If you can't find one, you can photograph the object in-situ, and keep the memory. If the item is valuable and would be better off in a display case, maybe you could open your own museum.

For any of us to advise otherwise, we would be running a risk of gov't. problems. There are other options, but we prefer not to advise you of those for the aforesaid reasons. Just my honest opinion, the way our government is running things, it won't be long before there is no government to worry about as they are ticking off a lot of other countries and if the missile shot off the California coast that no one wants to claim credit for is any indication, who knows what will happen? Anyway, some believe that we are already owned by China or Great Britain. The antiquities laws are among the most unethical and idiotic laws that we have simply because of the earlier mentioned reasons about the politicians and archaeologists benefiting instead of the owner/finder. Follow your conscience.

Ron
KsTHer

Post Number:#5  Postby Sheba » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 am

I've had many of the same thoughts. Thanks for the feedback.
Sheba

Post Number:#6  Postby bbekalb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:56 pm

a purveyor of antiquities i know told me a story of how he lost a warehouse full of artifacts to the gov. right after 9/11, and this guy has some serious stuff.
bbekalb

Post Number:#7  Postby bonuntr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Sorry to say, I have had one of the "experiences" with our government. Back during the 80's and 90's I hunted fossils for a living. My father had been a uranium mine owner, and had told me how they would cap the trucks with dinosaur bones to be pulverized for uranium ore during the 60's uranium boom. "Well", thinks me, "If they are just going to crush them up, I might as well make a buck."

To make a long story even longer, I made a good living from "single' bones for many years, and, even though I found many complete skeletons, I never took any material from their sites. Then came the early 1990's, and along the "road" we had made to access the formations in which we hunted bones, a new dig appeared. We found out, (by stopping and asking), that it was a dig being done by a university with the government overseeing them. For weeks, we would drive by this dig, watching them "work". Most of the time, they worked at playing hacky sack, forming rocks into pathways, and in general nothing. Over the period of a couple of years, they came to the harder material surrounding the remains of the dinosaur they were attempting to collect. I guess they thought it would be a good idea to build a dam below the site, let water back up into it, and let the rock decay for easier digging. This was not a good idea....the head parts of the dino, (jaws, teeth, orbitals, axis, maxilla, etc.), started to decay before the matrix that held the critter. When it was finally collected, it had but a few teeth left in a lower jaw. After seeing this, we decided to dig a couple up for ourselves......(you can guess the rest).

Upon my being "caught" by the BLM, FBI, and assorted other agencies, I decided that the truth would set me free. Let me tell you, that was a giant MISTAKE! I basically prosecuted myself! Time goes by....I decide to show the powers that be a couple of sites that I had not disturbed, but knew what they contained. This was met with much hurrah from said powers. When we arrived at one of the sites, I was astounded to hear these words from one of big shots......"It's just another Allosaurus, we have a lot of those, we are not interested". Well, after hearing that, I couldn't resist asking the question, " If you guys aren't going to dig it, why can't I?" The only reply I ever received was, "I wouldn't if I were you, you'll go to prison". These dinosaurs have since rotted, wind, rain, snow, and freezing temperatures have give them back to the ground they were formed in. Of no good to anyone.

In one of the newspapers that penned the story, "Stolen Dinosaur returned to Utah", ( the S.L. Tribune I believe), they printed that many fossil collectors took their ill gotten gains to Moab and sold them for 10 cents a pound to supply their meth habits! I believe this was done to make public sentiment grow against the commercial collectors. (being the article had been written about me, most good minded folks would automatically think I was the local meth head). You know, guilt by association, even though I had no idea what the drug even looked like.

You are better off just taking photos, and letting the next guy take the chance. If you decide to go ahead and collect whatever you have found, do the research and see where you stand legally. I guess what I am trying to get across here....The feds pack a heckuva wallop, and when they swing that mighty bat that they call "justice", you don't want to be in the way!

(( On a second note, and for reference, it took my partner and I 11 days to fully collect an Allosaurus Fragilis, over 80% complete, that the government deemed one of the finest ever collected! (Again, this was only deemed one of the finest ever collected to gain public sentiment, actually trying the case in the press) Why in the world did it take the "professionals" over 2 1/2 years, and countless man hours to retrieve 20% of one? ))

Sorry for rambling......
So many mysteries on earth...so little time here...
bonuntr

Post Number:#8  Postby Hair » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:11 pm

:shock: Why are the honest punished and the dishonest not? What if the "found items" were given to the native Americans and housed on reservations? Then they could benefit from a museum.if anyone deserves it, they do as they are Native Americans.
Hair

Post Number:#9  Postby Hair » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Think of all the art the world over that belongs to private collections. Think of all the artifacts that belong to private people. Think of all the items that senators, reps and past presidents own that rightfully is not theirs. Go for it if you find something.
Hair

Post Number:#10  Postby geogeek » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:40 pm

I am almost reluctant to tell this story. Almost.

I knew a man who died over a decade ago who told me something that blew me away. He worked for a DOI branch. He actually watched Anasazi pottery (whole pieces) inserted into a canvas bag and smacked with a hammer so they would fit in drawers at a storage facility. Imagine that. The man had no reason to lie to me or exaggerate.
If you can't find your glasses or your keys when you pressed the edge of late, go look in the mirror and open your hands. BTW, do you have oil in and for your lamp?
geogeek

Post Number:#11  Postby Hair » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:41 pm

That is irreverent and disrespectful of them to do that. Terrible waste. I wish the finder had been a keeper.
Hair

Post Number:#12  Postby geogeek » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:14 am

Unfortunately, justice at this time is not a principle that God commanded, and had the right to command. We are not dealing with an entity who cares about us. If we fight, let it be against against the entity that is deliberately destroying. I know who you are and your posts clarify your position.

When Jesus rebuked Peter and said, "you know not what spirit you are of", Jesus knew about you too. I am not here to challenge, or rebuke, or reprove. Information. Ancient Lost Treasures? Do as you were asked by Jesus Christ without convolution. Do you want a fight? I am sure a cemetery will give you proof of your position.
If you can't find your glasses or your keys when you pressed the edge of late, go look in the mirror and open your hands. BTW, do you have oil in and for your lamp?
geogeek

Return to Finders Keepers