Southern Wah Wah's

Posts regarding upcoming road trips and rendezvous ...

Southern Wah Wah's

Post Number:#1  Postby geogeek » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:58 am

I am going there to stomp around this weekend (raspberry). The topo's and the surface control maps were expensive, but I know how gravity works and I will have a great time. Naner, naner, naner. If you think I am a SA, you are correct. While you guys a punching keys I will be inspecing rocks. I will think of all of you and giggle my skinny rearend off. Not much left there to giggle off, but do be sure I am doing it. If you southern Utah boys & girls want in on the next round, it is about two weeks out. This appears to be my lot in life. Do smile and be happy;-)
geogeek

Re: Southern Wah Wah's

Post Number:#2  Postby Argenta » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:09 am

:geek: Your probably back from the Wah Wah's now. I hope you took some time to find some of those pretty red beryls that are found there. They're worth upwards of 10k per carat! But if you didn't, then wah wah your way home and try another time. lol. Rio Tinto aka Kennecott shouldn't have all the area under claim, I hope! :|
Argenta

Post Number:#3  Postby histreebum » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:31 pm

:D

histreebum

Post Number:#4  Postby sanpet » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:54 pm

That red beryl is one pretty stone. The Wah Wah's is the only place on earth where red beryl is found, There was several mines in the past that mined red beryl.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpet

Post Number:#5  Postby geogeek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:12 am

We didn't find any of those pretty red beryls, but we didn't wah wah on the way home either. The only maps I was able to get on short notice were 1:100,000 that show 40 meter contour intervals and surface control. Not a lot of detail, but they got us into the field. I certainly need a geologic map of the area.

Our exploration was also limited by the fact I had my road vehicle for economy. My field vehicle is a little over 400 miles away.

What we did find were many fine specimens of chalcedony that ranged from colorless, to amethystine, to sard, all having a high deqree of clarity. The textures varied widely: I will lump the majority as colloform, some with a drusy coating of colorless, amethyst, and brownish to citrine crystalline quartz. In one location (several miles out on foot) we found boulders of vesicular basalt with botryoids of chaldedony. I only hauled one hand specimen of that back.

I do plan on going back to the area better map equipped, and with a 4WD with much clearance and a narrow stance. An ATV would be handy after making base camp. Rugged country.
geogeek

Post Number:#6  Postby WorkJay » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:01 am

testicular basalt with hemorrhoids of chaldedony? 8-8 Wow! You truly are a Geogeek... I've never even heard of half of this stuff... next to you I feel like just an ordinary Working man's jay... sounds like yer having a whole heap of fun though... :lol:
WorkJay

Post Number:#7  Postby geogeek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:52 am

Yes, I am a geogeek :ugeek: , and I am going to clean those -oids up with preparation H (31.5% H ydrochloric acid) while they scream for mercy. They won't need to be buffed after that.
geogeek

Post Number:#8  Postby geogeek » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:25 am

Going to push out from here again this weekend. I know this is short order, but if you are near, you are welcome. Kindness is my only requirement on field trips.
geogeek

Post Number:#9  Postby sanpet » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:31 am

Warrning to all who goes out to the Wah Wahs watch out for the "Rocktopi"The Rocktopi are the aliens that were introduced in Earthcore. They have a spherical body, with six limbs that pulse different cotors.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpet

Post Number:#10  Postby geogeek » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:57 pm

It is a good thing my woman changed plans on me then. Kanab is the target now. Why do I try to plan? You Kanabites are in trouble for a day while this longhair rubbernecks. I hope I get the passenger seat on this one. Otherwise you Kanabites need to drive defensively. I only have one eye and get pulled over often due bouncing off the lines only to have an undersheriff or a state patrolman giggleing while wondering why I have a drivers license at all that does not insist I have a copilot to slap me when I am rubbernecking. Are there Rocktopi in Kanab? I want one of those in my collection.
geogeek

Post Number:#11  Postby sanpet » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Not that I know of. they are only in the Wah Wahs. Most people get in trouble with them when they start to dig deep.
sanpet

Post Number:#12  Postby geogeek » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:26 am

histreebum,

Did you actually find those red beryls. The first time I saw the reds were at a mineral show in Denver in 1993. A chemical variation in the mineralogical definiion is neat. I have a really neat feldspar crystal collection, that God willing, the next time I am in Colorado, will photograph and post.
geogeek

Re: red beryl

Post Number:#13  Postby histreebum » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:50 pm

sorry it took so long to reply but I was in Ten sleep and Gillette WY, Denver and colo springs CO, Hatch NM, Tucson and pheonix AZ, Riverside, Long Beach, Santa Maria CA. and the traffic on the 5, 405, 10, pch, 101, and the 710 were a joke, :x god i hate my life, or maybe just california....the Red Beryl is from a close friend who maintains a claim on one of the mines currently operating. I may have a piece of yellow beryl floating around this dump somewhere.
histreebum

Post Number:#14  Postby godrockin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Dont find this sort of thing shocking quit yet because this is only one small drop in a very large bucket of @#$% I have access to or have some good knowlage of, Im sort of an extreemist in ways and extreem things have pile up a bit at times. I also have a couple of buddys that go out to the Wah Wahs and bring home 1/2 dosen or more 2 caret and larger sized Red Beryl and have been told they would be happy to take me out show me a place where I could find some. They said it would not be the place they go but that it would produce results. I thought that would be Kool ass @#$% and should try to find the time to go do that well unless I would rather be some kind of an idiot. So Maybe some day some I will get out to that Wha Whas once. Or did I say( Where I was once ) (Wha Whas Once ) Oh who cares anyway. Your invited Is what I am really trying to say!
godrockin

Post Number:#15  Postby geogeek » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:50 am

I accept. I just don't know what my timelines are now. My ability to irritate people close to me is great. So I am on the move again. I think I will poke around Bluff Utah for a while. What a wrinkle. Do smile.

geogeek
geogeek

Return to Road Trips, Rendezvous & Gatherings