Camelot — Did it Really Exist?

Stories and Legends of times past in Europe ...

Camelot — Did it Really Exist?

Post Number:#1  Postby Iconic » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 pm

The King Arthur legends have fascinated the world for several centuries, yet nobody knows who he really was or where he was really from. We know that according to many legends, he made Camelot his home, but where, exactly was Camelot? Was it even a real?

The oldest known documents about King Arthur contain no information about Camelot. The place isn’t mentioned at all until the twelfth century, when a French poet named Chretien de Troyes mentioned it by name in one of his poems about Lancelot.

Later, in 1485, it’s mentioned in the tale by Sir Thomas Malory “Le Morte D’Arthur” that the round table is located in the great hall at Winchester.

There has also been speculation that the word Camelot comes from the Latin word “Camulodunum”. Camulodunum is the oldest settlement in England, according to the Romans. This settlement became a large fort when Roman legions invaded England. It was located in what is modern day Essex. Prior to Roman invasion, it was the home of many Celtic tribes.

Another interesting theory is that Camelot could be associated with the River Camel in Cornwall. It was mentioned in some Arthurian legends that he was born in Tintagel Castle in Cornwall. Could there have once been a great kingdom nearby?

Perhaps our greatest clue came in 1542, when a man named John Leland traveled around England collecting information about England’s history. He wrote about an “town or castle” called Camallate that sat on a hill south of South Cadbury Church. The nearby villagers told him that Arthur used to visit this “Camallate”. “At the top of the hill,” he wrote, “there is a great area of 20 acres, wherein diverse places foundations of walls can still be seen. There was a lot of blue stone which the people of the village have used again and taken away.”

Could the remains of this “castle or town” be that of the Camelot mentioned in Arthurian legends? Or could it have been nothing more than the villagers’ folklore? Whatever the case may be, this area is located in modern day Somerset.

Whether Camelot was located in Winchester, Essex, Cornwall, Somerset, or elsewhere in the British Isles, we’ll probably never know. It’s always possible that Camelot never existed at all, although trying to pinpoint the exact place wherein its origins are based is pretty fascinating. In the end, Camelot joins Avalon and Lyonesse as other long lost places from Arthurian legends.
Iconic

Re: Camelot — Did it Really Exist?

Post Number:#2  Postby Tanelorn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:46 pm

That would be cool, if they discovered who was King Arthur and where Camelot was. Most likely a 500 A.D. warlord of the Isle which later became romanticized by a French poet or scholar. Great story though, I love Excaliber.

Take care,

Daniel
Nestradetu@Hotmail.com
"Pack it in, pack it out. Keep our wilderness pristine."
Tanelorn

Post Number:#3  Postby Lostaslost » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Tanelorn from what I have gathered so far it is mostly all Ledgend. I really am so unsure to it all. You know that the carrie is ledend also. I recently bought a book with all of the poems and differnt books but together in one by one author who put it all together. You know my concern with it and supposedly Author protected the Grail. Now in a Knights book that I have it brings up authors name two different times I think. One said that author had lived in the Americas. I have not started the book as I just got thru with one. I am saying to anyone who is interested in the exploration of the Americas they should get right now The Lost Colony of the Templers, Verrazan"s Secreat Mission to America by Steven Sora. This is the whole works on all exploration up to and past Columbus. Columbus was a joke! Not ever did he find America. He saided to America with the maps from other explorers including what had been giving to him from the Sinclar's. Columbus was related by marrage. Everything is so well documented! Talks of finds of today. Of course the Newport RI church and or babtismal that was here before Columbus and it is placed on maps that other explors had done before Columbus. Supposedly Sinclair did this church as it would have taken that kind of smarts. Meaning Sacred Geometry and Astronomy. Lots of info on Montreal Canada. French Canada. The Templars. I think I saw Kansas write about this also on French Canada. Well the world I guess is still looking for Arcaida. Some place is called Arcaida and the Ark was there with the underground river in the cave. Lots of places are known today as Arcida. In fact they say that one map has all along the east coast as Arcida. Supposedly this was where Sinclare had went. I believe he was there. Was Arcaida in Utah. If not I done been telling lies all along.....Tanelorn I have not started the book about Author yet. I am right now on something else. I will get to it.

Knights never here. Well I have seen two Glyphs where I am saying they where done by the Knights. The biggest Medicine Wheel in the USA is in the Big Horn Mountains here in Wyoming. The knights have been traced and or tracked to North Dakota. Of course the Sun Glyph that I see each and every year is not a Sun Glyph. It is only a fracture and to some it looks like a sun glyph but then I am dum, stupid and uneducated anyway. So the experts tell me I am looking at a frature I got to believe them. Guys the one in Utah was done by a hippie I guess. I think it was Herb that orignally told me this. Might be wrong on that and if so I forget.

Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#4  Postby Tanelorn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi,

According to Arthurian Mythos, the Holy Grail was only gazed upon by Sir Galahad, for he was the only one of the Knights of the Round Table worthy enough to enter the Chapel of the Grail. As for the Carrie Shin-Ob, it is definitely a legendary story. Truth or not, only time will tell. I was speaking to a guy in Wyoming and he told me the Sun Glyph is actually a large Eye that points the way to a location known as "The Hand of God." I have seen pictures of this rock formation and it is interesting to say the least and it points to another rock formation which leads to yet another and so on and so forth until you come to an ancient tomb and then a Jesuit Mission located next to some long forgotten diamond mines. He also strongly believes the Sun Glyph/Eye was carved by Templars.

Take care,

Daniel
Nestradetu@Hotmail.com
"Pack it in, pack it out. Keep our wilderness pristine."
Tanelorn

Return to Europe