EL Malipas

Treasure Hunting Stories and Information In New Mexico

Lava caves

Post Number:#1  Postby rustybucket » Sun May 09, 2004 3:50 pm

Anyone heard of EL Malipas its near El Morro between Grants and Gallup NM. There are tales of an under ground city thier. It is also were Coronado went to look for the Seven cities .There was one Tesoro Found there . It was found very near Skycity of the Laguna . It was well marked . The cave was sealed with bloodstone motar . three walls before they found anything . the anything being a Blunderbus . Behind the 4th was considerable gold bullion . When these hunters started removing the bullion all heeeeeell broke lose . as the first man was carrying the first bar to the road , the sky lit up the Feds had dialed in. took there treasurethe hole was formed with railroad ties and cemented over . When the hunters ask how they were caught , the feds told one gentleman that they had caught wind over hearing a casual conversation in a resturant . So they started watching for anything suspicious . the night of the final dig , two locals who were in on the deal and designated to watch the road for traffic . Started talking on the cb with each other about what they were going to do with there part . The Feds were there listening and dialed right in . Just like thier in this sight reading everthing we type, so beware .
rustybucket

Rustybucket

Post Number:#2  Postby Unregistered User » Mon May 10, 2004 12:47 am

It is supposedly an 'underground church', or possibly a treasure cache including church artifacts, located in the recent lava flow south of Grants, NM. This area was designated El Malpais National Monument about 10-15 years ago. Prior to this, the area was 'guarded' by an old man, Gus Raney, who lived right at the edge of the lava flow. Raney, a bad man with a long history in NM, died in jail in Grants ca 1990 at the age of 103 awaiting trial for the murder of a retired treasury agent and his son who were allegedly looking for gold in the same area.
Unregistered User

re: lava caves

Post Number:#3  Postby Unregistered User » Mon May 10, 2004 2:28 am

Rustybucket:
So tell us more about this story! When did it happen? Are you saying that the feds cemented the hole up again? Did they do that with or without taking the gold? This would be a great story to hear Rog's take on, too! I'd love to hear more! I never heard that story, but have heard alot about the lava caves, Gus, and the whole El Malipas area. Share what you can, please.
Unregistered User

Me too

Post Number:#4  Postby Unregistered User » Mon May 10, 2004 4:43 am

I'd like to hear more about this too. All the many legends I'm familiar with in this area are clustered around the old travel route at the east edge of the lava flow (now route 117). The Sky City venue sounds a little fishy to me, but who knows? The idea of Federal agents lurking in restaurants seems weird unless they were following this bunch already.
Unregistered User

EL MALIPAS

Post Number:#5  Postby rustybucket » Tue May 11, 2004 2:14 am

Yes the feds did take the gold . There are signs along 117 telling you , you can not stop in this area . I heard this story directly from one of the hunters. There are 16 other treasures located in this area , all in the monument. as for Gus Raney he was a mean old fart. spent his whole life looking for gold there . and he did find some . he also had a well at his house. with a piece of pipe hanging from a rope, inside this pipe was filled with coin silver . the rope rotted and the pipe fell into the well . To bad it is a park. In the 80's Govenor Bruce King of NM traded land on the west side of the park for land near Santa Fe . Bruce King was also looking for treasure .
rustybucket

Steve, Inca

Post Number:#6  Postby rustybucket » Tue May 11, 2004 3:14 am

Email me at rustybucket65@yahoo.com for more info on NM .
rustybucket

Thanks!

Post Number:#7  Postby Unregistered User » Tue May 11, 2004 3:53 am

Any idea how much gold the feds took? Do you know if it was just a cache, or were there artifacts associated with it? That area has intrigued me for years, but its been a long time since I was there (maybe I should plan a trip!). Thanks for the update, Rustybucket... I'll definitely be e-mailing you!
Unregistered User

Re: Thanks!

Post Number:#8  Postby wcsoric » Tue May 11, 2004 9:28 pm

This is a sorry @#%$ story, anyone who has worked with the feds, especially the FBI Knows that they do not hear things by chance, even if they have a free lunch!!! Also it would take at least a year for this go up in a federal chain of command and another year for them to decide what to do. Add two more years for them to do it.
Furthermore, the ones who do get assigned to New Mexico are rookies or old cast off's that have no use at all anywhere else!
Bad story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wcsoric

Re: Thanks!

Post Number:#9  Postby Wandering II » Wed May 12, 2004 1:35 am

wcsoric,
may be you work for the feds, but we all what is really going on, maybe the underground gov..
one quick example is area 51...
Wandering II

Re: Cast offs

Post Number:#10  Postby BriannasDad » Wed May 12, 2004 3:29 am

Okay, point taken. Cast-offs that are no use. Well maybe they just read the writing on the wall and using their Fed training and resources, just provided a better retirement for themselves? Doesn't anybody watch the movies? :~o Brady
- Still Looking
BriannasDad

Cinabar

Post Number:#11  Postby TOGunslinger » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:37 pm

West of El Paso De Robles (Paso Robles) Calif is an old mine that I believe has been cleaned up by the EPA or whoever? It is/was an old Cinabar mine. the dirt there was bright red and the Mercury ran out of the dirt like well Mercury. I was going to say water but it didn't soak in like water..
I gathered a small bottle,about 12 ounces of the stuff one saturday in a couple of hours, it weighed several lbs. You could dig a trench in the dirt and as long as there was a slope to the trench, disturbing the earth around it caused the Mercury to sort of ooze out and puddle at the bottom.
Very interesting. TOG
TOGunslinger

Liquid gold

Post Number:#12  Postby mrjimsfc » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:50 am

They had a similar situation just a few miles to the wsw of Avenal, Calif., just a whoop and a holler (36 miles) ene of Paso Robles.~If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
Oliver Wendell Holmes
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

raney

Post Number:#13  Postby Unregistered User » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:50 am

KNEW GUS WELL, HE DIED IN THE CIBOLA HOSPITAL IN GRANTS . WAS OUT ON BOND AT THAT TIME. I AM WRITING THE LIFE STORY OF GUS.
Unregistered User

gus raney

Post Number:#14  Postby Unregistered User » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:28 pm

gus did not die in jail. he died in the cibola hospital in grants in 1982 at the age of 101. he was under inditment for the two murders. he was also a nm lawman most of his life.
Unregistered User

Gus Raney

Post Number:#15  Postby Unregistered User » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:05 pm

deer out in the yard. His run in with the law in the 80's was not his first. Many years earlier (in the early 70's) he killed two men on his property. As I heard it, he had sold a couple of cattle to these guys but told them they had to wait until the meat inspector got there before they could butcher them. Apparently Gus caught them gutting the cows and got into an argument with them. They came after him and he shot them both dead. At the time they figured he was too old to prosecute, and he was a lawman. Supposedly they took his right to carry a gun in town away from him as punishment. I remember seeing him in town after that and my dad to would stop to talk to him. He still had his holster on but had a tin of Skoal in it where the gun should be. I always wondered what he put in the holster when he left Grants.
Unregistered User

Re: raney

Post Number:#16  Postby SteveNM46 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:28 am

Hey, Ralph - I would love to get a copy of your book when it's done. I've always wondered if someone would write a book about Gus Raney. Raney was a marshall here in the Silver City area in the early 20th century. I talked a couple old timers here in the late 1970's who remembered him well. Every one was afraid of him in those days because he'd kill with little provocation. After murdering a couple Mexicans in Cliff over an arguement about a hat (I used to have the newspaper article from the Silver City Press), he was run out of Grant County in the '30's and settled at the edge of the lava flow on 117.

A friend and I were drilling mining claim verification holes on a bunch of uranium claims on the old King ranch about 1980 and our boss told us to go see Gus about drilling on his land. We drove into his compound and were very reluctant to get out of the truck due to barking dogs. Raney came out to the truck and without a word from us merely told us to get off his land and never come back. He was a very weird and dangerous looking dude. Old as the hills, long hair, black eyes, big black hat. We left. We'd see him occasionally on the road to Grants in his Bronco with his wife in the front seat with him.

A week or so after the above 'meeting', we were in town at the 4B's restaurant having coffee when Gus walked into the place. It got real quiet and a couple sheriff's deputies got up and walked out. Seems like everyone gave him plenty of slack when he was around.

On the other hand, another friend of mine told me that he took a bunch of outward-bound type kids up to his ranch and Gus was quite cordial and entertaining as he treated the kids to stories about the old west around a campfire.

There is no lack of stories about Raney - killing one own his own sons, dressing him in his Sunday clothes and laying him out in a nearby ice cave; shooting cattle rustlers; etc. Of course, the gold-in-the-malpais stories always come up too. An interesting twist on those came from a friend of mine who is extremely knowledable about the KGC. He speculated that Gus perfectly fit the profile of a KGC sentinel, as depicted in the Brewer book. It's always been my understanding that the two men shot on his ranch when he was 101 years old were a retired Treasury agent and his son. Who knows?

Anyway, what's the status of your book? Mark me down for a copy please.
SteveNM46

Re: Steve, Inca

Post Number:#17  Postby bob nm » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:51 am

Rustybucket, I emailed you. It came back undeliverable. I would love to hear more about NM. Any stories.Bob
bob nm

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#18  Postby stayout » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:06 pm

I did not know Gus or anyone else in his family. But I was acquainted with the man he was accused of killing - Emory Smith.

First, Smith was not a Federal agent, or belonging to any level of government (state, local, etc.). He never served in law enforcement - at least as long as my father knew him. Smith was simply a wheeling, dealing businessman who had more failures than successes, and basically himself to blame. The reason I know about this is because he was my father's ex-business partner, with the emphasis on the ~ex-~. He never passed up an opportunity to hornswaggle anyone. At the time he ~visited~ Gus, he was in very desperate straits.

The story he told was that he was acquainted - even friends with Gus for many years. He said that Gus would show him gold bars from a cave where a lot of gold was stashed. He even claimed that was how Gus would pay for every car he bought. However, there were about two or three families nearby that were jealous of each other and wanted the gold for themselves. Gus was apparently the one who kept the delicate balance among them.

Smith then wanted his business partners to drive down there and raid the stash. My father said that the should hire some guards and have some armored trucks - he did not expect it would be a cake walk. The others agreed, and nothing came of the proposed venture.

Then in late 1983, my father receives a phone call from one of his other ex-partners. Emory Smith and his son (about 20 years old) were both killed. I myself had just read the article but did not make the connection until my father told me. That was when he told me the reason why Smith was dead. Apparently, he was desperate and he was going to take it by force - perhaps even threaten Gus and his family.

There are two theories:

First, Gus, or some family member, shot them in self-defense. I certainly believed that Smith would try something that stupid.

Second, one of the competing families killed Smith and son, and intended to frame Gus, and perhaps seize the gold for themselves.

As for me, I want nothing to do with it. It brought Gus no peace while he was alive, and brought Smith death for himself and his son.
stayout

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#19  Postby ggrandsonOfGusRaney » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:02 am

first off i would like to introduce myself. i am the greatgrandson of gus raney. and the is alot of incorrect information be spewed on this thread. first off there is no gold. and there never was. for countless years disrespectful hoodlums have trespassed on my grandfather sleet's land, even going as far as digging up my families graves on he ranch, looking for this ~gold~. as far as gus being a bad man he was not. everyone he killed was for a good reason. i would also like to request that those of you telling lies like he died in jail, to respectfully bite your tounges. i would also like to talk to this man who is writing a book about gus. if any of you would like to contact me, you may reach me at honorwreth@gmail.com jeremiah sleet o.
ggrandsonOfGusRaney

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#20  Postby redbird98 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:04 am

I do not under stand this system. My e-mail is krnred@aol.com
redbird98

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#21  Postby redbird98 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:26 am

I hate being old, and not able to understand the new techniques of the world. I have e-mailed Gus Raney's grandson, and it always comes back with the dreaded Damien label. When my granddaughter gets here, she will be able to explain to this old man, she is eleven, what I am doing wrong. Untill then I will try this approach.

Yes I did know your grandfather, and his precious wife Sugarfoot. I have personal photographs of your grandparents and my family socializing. Yes, we probably drank a beer or eleven.

I have tried to contact Sleet who would be your father. Does he still live in Gallup New Mexico?

Gus has been pictured on the Internet in a light much different than he actually lived. He had true belief in God, and obeyed his teachings. Your grandfather to me was a hero, and always will be. He proudly served his country with valor and honor. The ancient newspaper clippings of your grandfather, state : you went up Kettle and San Juan Hill with Theodore Roosevelt of the Roughriders. Was a sheriff in many New Mexico counties. Proudly wore the star of a United States Marshal. A secret agent for the FBI under J. Edgar Hoover. I only regret your grandfather made me promise not to reveal his secrets until he had dead, at least 25 years

I do hope this gets through and we are able to connect, and like I say what my grandbabies get here. They will show the old man, what I am doing wrong.
redbird98

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#22  Postby redbird98 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:58 am

I'm sorry, you are Gus's great grandson. I also see others asking about New Mexico tales, lore and legends. The fact that my teeth are long, I know hundreds. The Secret of Cabazon PeakOne beautiful fall evening, standing in front of the Ace Pawnshop, we were waiting for Mom to close. Gene Anton, Gus and I were enjoying the cool night air. Gus, pointed to a rise southwest of Mount Taylor,Well... You gentlemen know my Sugarfoot, she told me her people have lived here for hundreds of years, this is their land. A strange band of people known as Cabezon, came to this land. They found it to their liking, and when they came in contact with my wife's people, they informed them they would have to git, ~We want this land as our own~You must remember my wife's people have been here since the start of time, and they refused! A warning came from the Cabezons, should my wife's tribe not adhere to their warning they would be engaged in warfare, and her entire tribe would be destroyed.Sugarfoot's people desired to stay, they decided to call upon their top warrior, known as Twin War Brothers, to lead them during the coming battle. When the morning sun rose, the mountains began to tremble, the chief Cabezon was moving forward, preparing for battle. A hush fell upon my wife's people as he began to appear. The closer he came the larger he grew, his height reached fifty foot, maybe a little more. This giant roared down and told them to leave. Just the sight of this huge fierce warrior caused many of the tribe to run in fear. This fear did not touch Twin War Brothers. He carefully removed his finest arrow from the quiver. He inserted it into his bow and aimed at the giants head. Truth be told no arrow has ever traveled this high. And to the amazement of my wife's people, it flew true to its course and landed square between the eyes of the chief Cabezon. If I were to tell you it took a great deal of time before this giant fell to the earth, I would not be accused of any extreme exaggeration. Fall he did, his lifeless body was there for everyone to see. As soon as the chieftain had fallen, the bears and coyotes, with the aid of the buzzards, devoured the body leaving only the head. The head was much too ugly to eat.As I listened to this yarn spinning I knew somewhere in the back of my mind the story seemed vaguely familiar, with a different cast of characters, maybe even in the Bible. I knew the story Gus told was true, the Giants head was lying in front of me. When in Grants, make sure you see Cabezon's Peak. Remember this will, in all likelihood be the only time you will ever be able to see the dead head of a giant .
redbird98

GUS RANEY

Post Number:#23  Postby ggirl51 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:28 pm

I have a black & white Lithograph of Gus Raney - numbered and signed . The lithograph also came with a brief biography of Gus written by the artist, T. M. Johnson.

I had planned on selling this on E-bay, but when I came across the posts here, I thought I would see if there is anyone interested.
ggirl51
ggirl51

Re: EL Malipas

Post Number:#24  Postby nmgringo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:07 pm

I knew Gus well, having lived in San Rafel for a number of years (late 70 early 80). He was a man used to working along, but was always friendly. Last time I saw him was when I helped him load a 10' dia stock water tank into a small trailer. This was after the killing of tow men in caught butchering one of his cow. When one of them confrunted him, while holding the knife he was using to butcher the cow, he shot and killed them both. By the standards of earlier times he was a tough,but fair man. When asked why he shot the second man butchering his cow he told me it was because "because he needed killing". Not an uncommon response for a man living on what he produced himself. When you only have access to town when the weather is perfect he, and his 80 yr old wife, didn't eat if someone stole their food.

By the by. Gus drive a koren war salvaged jeep using tires bought from the junk yard in Grants. (and the stock tank was the cut off end of an old 1,000 gasonline tank I used as a culvert in an arroya on my land) He didn't have gold, jewelery or silver. Hell.... He didn't have indoor plumbing or electric. The closest he had to valuables was a billion dollar view of Mt. Tayler, Gallo pear and the Malpi fields between Grants and El Moro.

The only action taken after the russlers were shot was an agreement that, in town, he wouln't carry a gun. Instead, when in town, he kept a can of Skool in his hip holster. Even then it wasn't a big gun, just a snub nose 38.

I still remeber the last time I was Gus, driving south on rt 53 heading for Rama with in old jeep towing a narrow to wheel trailer with a 10' stock tank towering over the jeep and trailer thinking even a small dust devil would flip him on his side.

I left the area before the final killing, but know the doc who was present at his death. He died before he spent a night in jail, and within 48 hours gouls swarmed over his reach digging for treasure. None found, because his treasure was the women he loved and his ranch.
nmgringo

Return to New Mexico