Kokopelli......

Discussions focused on the Ancient Cultures of North American ...

Kokopelli......

Post Number:#1  Postby JDogg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm

I just saw a book at the bookstore regarding Kokopelli. This author believes he knows the real identity of Kokopelli.........guess who he thinks he is? Would you believe Moroni???? Has anyone ever heard of that comparison before???
JDogg

Re: Kokopelli......

Post Number:#2  Postby Kanabite » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm

the only thing i know of kokopelli comes from HILLERMAN novels .. he {KP} was the water sprinkler, the flute player, the giver of life....at least that what the Navajo believed he was .
Kanabite

Post Number:#3  Postby Whyte Eagle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Well now ... that's one I've never heard before ... would be interesting to see why it is he would think there would be a relation there ...
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#4  Postby JDogg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:08 pm

The name of the book is "In Search of Kokopelli" by L.H. Erickson.
JDogg

Post Number:#5  Postby PTCarroll » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Interesting.

There is also a book on Kokopelli by Dennis Slifer, sold on Amazon and elsewhere.
I'm thinking of getting that one.

I've seen references to a few pamphlets, but I haven't got them yet.
I'll do a bit more purchasing after the start of the year.
PTCarroll

Post Number:#6  Postby mysterylover » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 pm

:oops: kokopelli as far as I have learned was a hunchback shaman type who played a flute,,people with some sort of disability made them different,and so posessing magical powers,
mysterylover

Post Number:#7  Postby Lady Sicily » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:11 pm

I have loved the Kokopelli for many years. I actually collect items with this symbol on them. I have learned through studying several sources that he is the symbol of Good Fortune and Fertility. Legend has it that when the men of the tribe went out to hunt, the Kokopelli stayed behind. He played his flute to seduce the women of the tribe and then impregnated them. That was his "job" so to speak. Not a bad gig! ;=)
If a thing must be done, it must be done with grace.
Lady Sicily

Post Number:#8  Postby Whyte Eagle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 pm

I've also heard that some considered him to be a traveling trader of sorts who travelled the Southwest. In these stories he played his flute to announce his arrival and of course he earned his reputation with the women folk of the villages he frequented ... was Kokopelli limited to the Southwest though?
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#9  Postby Lady Sicily » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 pm

There has been evidence found of a similar figure in the Southeast. However the figure was female and she was called Kokopelli-mana or Kokopelmana. She was the symbol of Life Giving Waters, Motherhood, Fertility. She was thought to be the "wife" figure or symbol to Kokopelli.
Lady Sicily

Post Number:#10  Postby Lostaslost » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:13 pm

Photo is taken along the Green River area of the Dinosaure National Monument. July 2006 and the Dinasure National Monument has problems due to foundation moving. A glass display case has poped and shattered glass everywhere. Doors are hanging up and moving on there on also. The monument is closed with a van in place selling books and such. They do not know when they will ever reopen. No money here as we are spending it in Iraq and that is what I was told. Photos elsewhere also.

Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#11  Postby utahcat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:14 pm

The Dinosaur Monument museum was closed due to unstable ground and the building had been stabilized several times but it is being pulled apart. The earliest date will be around 2011 before anything is done. Lack of money being the biggest problem plus the old building cannot be torn down and rebuilt as it is on the National Historic Register. The other option is to erect a new building but in the meantime fossils are being stored in other places. Our lab at the new museum in Vernal is supposed to be started this spring then we will have enough room to store everything in one place plus have new facilities for cataloging, cleaning, restoring and displaying fossils. It's going to be a long process but the future is looking great for Dino Land.
utahcat

Post Number:#12  Postby Native1858 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:14 pm

He was considered a shaman flute player with an larger than normal libido, from what I have read.
Native1858

Post Number:#13  Postby Redcloud » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:38 pm

I have learned through studying several sources that he is the symbol of Good Fortune and Fertility. Legend has it that when the men of the tribe went out to hunt, the Kokopelli stayed behind. He played his flute to seduce the women of the tribe and then impregnated them. That was his "job" so to speak. Not a bad gig!

That don't sound like the Moroni I know,,,,,,,,,
Redcloud

Post Number:#14  Postby Lady Sicily » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:07 pm

So are they saying he is "Moroni the Prophet" or a symbol of "The Angel Moroni" that was supposed to have appeared to Joseph Smith?

8-) Kimmie
Lady Sicily

Post Number:#15  Postby PTCarroll » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:30 am

I thought I got the impression that the flute player and Kokopelli were 2 different individuals. I just checked Slifer's Kokopelli book and, yeah, Kokopelli is a Hopi figure that was known for being hunchbacked and impregnating women. The flute player, though, is a different figure and is more trouble. There is one heck of a lot of images in that book from all over the West.
PTCarroll

Post Number:#16  Postby mahalla2 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Although I am not Mormon, I do believe that the original Kokopelli was perhaps a real person (or real people, plural) and leader of a particular group (perhaps of a priestly order) somewhere within America's historical past. It would make more sense to me that he was part of a military movement perhaps Celtic that after all was said and done (the Navajo believe there was a three hundred year war that placed them in Canada instead of where they originally came from) that left him and a small minority of others to migrate out of the Northwest and into the Southwest where the Hopi can be found today. And really, stranger things have happened -
The Beauty of Our Ancient Past is "Hidden in Plain Sight"
mahalla2

Post Number:#17  Postby Brooman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:38 pm

Elders say Kokopelli was not of this world...a traveler of sorts. Described as a taller than normal being with un-human characteristics. They also say his hunch over depictions were from his height and how he had to maneuver through their dwellings. A bringer of fertility and an insatiable addiction to the attention of the females. Depicted always with his flute but for the sound that was created by his coming. The whirling sounds and tones that were heard before and during his arrival sounded of that of a flute. A tall bringer of fertility who traveled by sound...Kokopelli.
Brooman

Return to North American