treasures in Spanish Peaks area, Colorado?

Stories of mines lost or found in Colorado

Post Number:#1  Postby bitfiend » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:14 pm

Hi,
I'm a new poster here, and pretty new to the whole treasure hunting thing. I've done a little half-assed panning before, but always just for fun.

Anyhow, I do alot of off-trail lightweight backpacking in wilderness areas, (I don't like to go camping and run into other people...people are what I'm camping to get away from) and I picked a creek at random near the Spanish Peaks on the topo and blazed away towards it as usual. About 3 miles or so in, I found alongside the creek a very mossy and old cairn that was partially buried at the base in the soil (It's really rugged and steep, and there is nothing resembling a trail at all) I figured it might be a old claim marker? Anyhow, as I moved farther downstream, I decided to get my ar7 out and shoot a squirrel and make some stew.

Looking up in the branches for squirrels, (Aspen or birch..not sure which, white bark anyhow.) I saw a carving of a turtle about 15 feet from the ground on a large tree. (I took out a little monocular to get a closer look and make sure it was really a carving and not just a weird patch) I vaguely remembered reading something about turtles being trail markers (?) so I walked in the direction of the turtle's point. A quarter mile or so more, I came to a rockfield that had two large, flat (about 3 feet to apex) triangular stones that were poking up like headstones and looked quite out of place, as they were both very regular and the same size, plus they aligned with each other pointing SE.

It was very dry, and I wanted to stick near the creek for water so I just kind of poked around in the general direction the rocks pointed and called it quits.

Do these things sound like treasure markers to any of you? If so, how would I use/follow them? I have the locations of all of the things marked with my GPS. (Or am I just being silly)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
bitfiend

Re: treasures in Spanish Peaks area, Colorado?

Post Number:#2  Postby Redcloud » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:23 pm

The rock cairn and the triangular stones sound very interesting, You should go back and investigate! The base of the cairn being partialy buried indicates the builder taking the time to insure it went up straight and level, he wanted it to last!,,,,,,,,,,,Pay no attention to the turtle in the aspen, that was a scab. MRE's beat the hell hout of squirrel stew,LOL,,,,,,,Welcome aboard, keep us posted.
Redcloud

Post Number:#3  Postby bitfiend » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:43 pm

Hi Joesky,
Thanks for the reply.
What do you suggest I do with the cairn? (I'm new to this whole thing.) Look for something near it? Dig under it? Pan the creek there?
Up higher and closer to/directly on the Spanish Peaks themselves I've seen many old mines and random holes. It's alot more vegetated down there, and I didn't see anything resembling a mine at all. The rocks and cairn are very near one of the natural ~dikes~ that radiate away from the peaks. Does anybody know if gold is likely to be found near these?

On the stew: You've never tasted my squirrel stew! MRE's are too heavy and bulky anyhow. I spend several weeks at a time out on foot. I eat small game and Mountain House freeze dried. (better than MRE's anyhow...I do like MRE pound cake, though.)
bitfiend

Post Number:#4  Postby Whyte Eagle » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:24 am

Welcome to the Ancient Lost Treasures forum bitfiend! Sounds like you;ve stumbled ont to something there with your finding of the cairn ...... do you have any pics?
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Spanish Peaks Treasure

Post Number:#5  Postby Roger Snow » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:57 am

Hello Bitfiend, what you have found is a treasure marker, The Great Spanish Peaks Treasure is one that has been sought for centuries. IT is still looked for today, I have a friend working on it right now( i think he is at least, hav'nt talked to him in a while)
The two upright stones I believe are the Gateway. I would have to see the site to give you any answers to them. From what you have said so far, I believe you are close to it though.
You might want to check a book about treasure in Colorado, some authors know the partial story, and can tell you about the pack train that deposited the treasure there.
Your turtel symbol has a meaning, but not the meaning most will tell you,,,, that turtel is a treasure deposit symbol, it almost always has near it three lines topped with a crossbar, sort of like an upside down ~E~ with an extended end pointing in the direction of travel.
I hav'nt much information on that particular treasure, I forgot most of the details. so I cannot be of much help from where I sit, BUT,,, you can check the library nearest you for books on treasure in Colorado, the Spanish Peaks treasure is a well known story, and it is supposed to be a very Large Treasure deposit.
bitfiend,, try to keep us posted on this, and check in here to see if I come up with something on it for you. If I do ,,, I'll [post it here.
Rog'
Roger Snow

The Arapho Princess treasure

Post Number:#6  Postby Roger Snow » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:20 am

Bitfiend, find what you can on a treasure called:
The Arapaho Princess treasure ;=)
Been some people up there recently spending a hugh amount of Money trying to find what you found, so kinda be careful around strangers up there, don't mention to them what you found.
Rog'
Roger Snow

Re: The Arapho Princess treasure

Post Number:#7  Postby bitfiend » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:16 pm

Hi everybody,
Thanks for all the replys!

So far all I can find on the ~Arapaho princess treasure~ is this little blurb. ~8 burro-loads of 50 lb. gold bars were buried by the Spanish about 300 feet away from a strange arrangement of rocks, one of which was in the shape of a doll and stood about 30 feet high. The site is near an early 1800s village in the foothills of the Spanish Peaks. Most of the Spanish were killed and the cache of gold was never recovered. This hoard is known as the Arapaho Princess Treasure. Many believe the doll-shaped rock was located on the N.W. slope of West Spanish Peak, N.W. of LaVeta. Still other sources claim the site was located on the N.W. quadrant of East Spanish Peak."

I ordered a few books that mentioned it, I guess I'll have to wait and see. It is worth mentioning that I wasn't on the Peaks themselves, so the markers may not have anything to do with the treasure.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics, I don't normally carry a camera with me. (I'm a ~backsliding~ ultralighter, I count ounces and do things like cut manufacturer tags off to save weight :") ) I've been meaning to get one of those super tiny digital cameras to come with me on my trips. Next time I go I'll take some pics of all the stuff. It is getting late in the season though, weather will soon be too nasty for my hiking style.

You guys really think the markers have to do with that treasure? I don't know how I'd ever get it out of there if I did find it. It's a helluva hike with a light pack.
bitfiend

light pack

Post Number:#8  Postby mrjimsfc » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:10 pm

Light pack going up, heavy pack coming back down. A fifty pound bar of 60% gold would be worth a little over $100,000.00. 8-8 For so little money, it may not be worth the effort. :~c

Jim :~P
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Re: light pack

Post Number:#9  Postby bitfiend » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:26 am

Unfortunately, the heavy pack would be on the way back up. :~P

I've spent alot of time reading the various posts and stories here and elsewhere in the last couple of days. I'm hooked!
From now on I'm going to hike in areas where I might find something.

An aside; Most of the stories seem to center on Utah, does anybody know of a forum like this that is oriented towards Colorado? Or are there any Coloradans that would like to show a newbie treasure hunter the ropes? I'm an experienced woodsman, nutty survivalist, computer geek, gun nut, long haired (anti)hippie type and all around nice guy. :") Even just book suggestions would help.

Thanks!
bitfiend

Re: light pack

Post Number:#10  Postby Ursa Oro » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:59 am

re: Unfortunately, the heavy pack would be on the way back up.

I'll make you a deal. I'm willing to pack out all of the gold bars you can find, for a mere $50,000 each. :"}

-Ursa
Ursa Oro

further notes from a TRUE HIPPIE

Post Number:#11  Postby Roger Snow » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:14 am

Anti-hippie indeed,,, sheeesh ! and I'm trying to help you out here bitfiend,,, are you not ashamed ? :")
On to the meat,,,,
The Arapaho princess is one possibility
there is as well other treasures in that area.
ALSO_______ One of the riches mines in colorado is said to be in that area, but there are many mines there, and some are still open, do not think that these open mines are the one I refer to, it is covered up.
But, from your discription you gave, I feel you have found treasure markers.
I have my own to deal with at this time, or I could shoot up to Durango and pick up a couple of friends to help you on the site.
The markers tell a story, and that is not something I can convey without seeing them, and I cannot come up there right now. NEAR these markers, see if you find a low stone wall , any stones stacked about a foot and a half high running for a length.
Somewhere in the vincinity are other markers.
The markers you have come across is not the end all of them. You need more.
as far as groups who deal with Colorado treasures, try a search on MSN. groups,,, or yahoo groups, BUT,,, never tell anyone over the net, the direct and exact area of your find, never give gps cords.
There are some really shifty people.
BUT,,,, there are also honest people.
Good luck bitfiend.
Rog' ( the happy to help you out HIPPIE ) :")
Roger Snow

Re: further notes from a TRUE HIPPIE

Post Number:#12  Postby bitfiend » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:35 pm

Hi Roger,
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I'm anti-hippie, just that I'm kind of the inverse of hippie, if you know what I mean. More feet on the ground than head in the clouds, in other words. (I'm going to put my foot in my mouth now no matter what I say.) Um, I'll just shut up now. :~e

Thanks for the advice, I'm not really worried about someone stealing ~my treasure~. It's just fun to think about, and the possibility that I may stumble onto something mysterious and golden adds some extra spice to the idea of my excursions.

I do work, and I live in the Denver area, far from Spanish Peaks so I don't have the time to poke around there full-time looking. I'll keep the exact location to myself for a couple of trips, and if I don't find anything I have no problem with sharing the coords with people who have a more serious treasure hunting bent.

Thanks again fellas.
bitfiend

Post Number:#13  Postby Native1858 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:38 pm

Very interesting post. I am n the Springs, and have done lots of research on the such if you wish to email and/or chat. Thanks.
Native1858

Post Number:#14  Postby Native1858 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:55 pm

As far as the turtle is concerned, do pay attention to him.
Native1858

Discovery of Hidden Mine, Hartsel Colorado

Post Number:#15  Postby CherokeeMemories » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:47 am

Our family has a copper mining claim up in South Park just two miles south of Hartsel Colorado that has been in our family since Dad claimed it back in 1964.

Hartsel is just a short distance from Fairplay. The major route in and out of this area of the mountains goes straight through Hartsel.

Shortly after filing the claim Dad used a small dozer to open up areas all over the property. He was taking deeper samples of the ore to send in to be assayed. During this time he cut into the side of a hill and discovered a small opening which turned out to be part of the entrance to a hidden mine. There were no tailings anywhere so whoever dug the tunnels must have scattered the tailings all over the valley below to hide the entrance.

He carefully finished opening the rest of the entrance by hand. He removed cut logs and large boulders that had been placed in a fashion to keep the tunnel clean and dry. Entering the tunnel he followed it for exactly 60 feet at a steep 40% incline where it dropped 18 feet into another tunnel that took off into two directions. Having been a long time prospector he knew all about bad air so he didn't attempt to go any further at that time.

The photo is what the tunnel looked like from the inside. He had climbed through the opening to take this photo before removing the other logs and boulders.

He left the tunnel open to air out for a month or so and returned with a long wooden ladder he'd built. He attempted to go down into the lower tunnel at that time but after desending the ladder he soon felt the nausa that comes with bad air and got out of there. He still got sick but knew he'd have to find another way to air out the tunnel.

Many things took place after this initial discovery but will not go into it at this time. Will say however that we do know that there was some reason for this mine to be hidden. Have done some research about outlaws and roberys in this area and found that one bunch of bank robbers were apprehended south of the mining property near what is referred to as Hwy 9 that runs directly South out of Hartsel. Other than that I haven't been able to find anything.

Was wondering if anyone else knows of any tales of lost, hidden or stolen loot around this area that might provide some clues to why this mine was hidden.

Thanks,
CherokeeMemories
CherokeeMemories

Post Number:#16  Postby MesaBuddy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:14 am

CM , you have a photo of the shaft ??
MB
MesaBuddy

Post Number:#17  Postby MesaBuddy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:21 am

It took a while CM , but my memory did get jarred :~O
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/CP-ColoradoTreasures4.html
One of many , I had a friend from Delores that was a walking encyclopedia of old Colorado happenings ;=)
MB
MesaBuddy

Post Number:#18  Postby MesaBuddy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:24 am

MesaBuddy

Post Number:#19  Postby CherokeeMemories » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:36 am

Yeah, MB but for some reason couldn't get it to post. Will email it to you
CherokeeMemories
CherokeeMemories

Post Number:#20  Postby MesaBuddy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:37 am

Attachments
20071221_0001.pdf
(23.86 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
MesaBuddy

Post Number:#21  Postby MesaBuddy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:38 am

Cool , thanks CM
MB
MesaBuddy

Post Number:#22  Postby PTCarroll » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:23 pm

Well, it seems like I launched a few rockets in that area back in the 80s, but few of them hit the dirt hard enough to dig a shaft.

That's about all I can say about Hartsel.
PTCarroll

mystery shaft!

Post Number:#23  Postby lostreasureman » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:33 am

wheres tha photo?...id like ta see it too!soundz like somethin to check out some more! -/
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

Post Number:#24  Postby CherokeeMemories » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:59 am

I've uploaded. Still don't understand why is doesn't show.
CM
CherokeeMemories

Post Number:#25  Postby Kanabite » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:19 am

after you upload , you have to leave the cursor in your post ,where you want the picture to be placed . then click on the uploaded picture.... there seems to be a limit on the size of the pic's so you might have to downsize them with paint before you upload . i hope that helps.////bob
Kanabite

Next

Return to Colorado