Hurricane Cliffs mine site

Stories of mines lost or found in Utah

Re: Hurricane Cliffs mine site

Post Number:#26  Postby Doak » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:29 pm

I used to live in St. George before moving to Apple Valley (Rattlesnake Gulch 8-8 ) so I find your post very interesting. Brings back good memories of exploring Dixie.

Long ago I found the initials of John D. Lee carved into a sandstone formation in the Grapevine Pass area. Let me know if you gentlemen would be interested in finding and photographing the carvings for posterity. I have never shown or told anyone else about them for fear they would be destroyed.

Best of luck on your hunts.

Doak
Doak

Post Number:#27  Postby fawcett_jeff » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:49 am

Has anyone heard of a old charcoal oven in between LaVerkin and Virgin? If so was it Spanish or Anglo? I just saw some pictures of it.
fawcett_jeff

Post Number:#28  Postby fawcett_jeff » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 am

Doak, I would be interested in seeing the site.
fawcett_jeff

Post Number:#29  Postby Doak » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Okay, let me look at the USGS quad map for that area so I can give you some descent directions. Also, I have a jpeg of John D. Lee's signature for comparison purposes if you will take a picture. It might be better if we moved the correspondence to private messages, since I really don't want anyone defacing the site.

Doak
Doak

Post Number:#30  Postby mannings » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:31 pm

I haven't been on this forum in a very long time.. but I live in St. George and explore the strip a couple days each week. Happy to meet up and share notes one day if there's interest. I, too, am interested in the John D. Lee carving.
mannings

Post Number:#31  Postby Doak » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 pm

mannings wrote:I haven't been on this forum in a very long time.. but I live in St. George and explore the strip a couple days each week. Happy to meet up and share notes one day if there's interest. I, too, am interested in the John D. Lee carving.

I sent you a private email with some directions to JDL initials. Post some pics if you find them.

Doak
Doak

Post Number:#32  Postby mannings » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Will do..
.thanks!
mannings

Post Number:#33  Postby Albert » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:10 pm

Hello
I know this is an older post, but if you are still looking I have some new leads for you.
I have also found a carving with the date of 1811 on it. Underneath the date there are mis. Letters spelling something that I do not understand. It is hard to make them clear because of some erosion on the rock after all it is old. I am no expert on spanish symbols, but I think one of them is a marker of tunnel nearby. I am not sure wear you found your rock but I think we are working in the same area. I would love to see your location. Then I will show you mine. Maybe with .
the both of us we could put something together, and end up like mr. Black.
Albert

Post Number:#34  Postby cwinder1975 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:08 pm

I have been out and located the plateau, found the black pottery, done some exploring around that area. On one of my trips out there I went further south and found another plateau on top are some rock formations looks like maybe where they sleep. On the south side at the bottom of a rock cliff I located a tunnel that goes back in to the sand stone about 20 to 30 feet. on that trip I found no markings or anything else of interested. I returned out there the other day and done some digging in the back of the tunnel to make sure there was no false bottom. as I walked around the top of the plateau on my way back to my truck I found a marker stone that says ( in the memory of Karl Caldwell April 13 1929) Haven't been able to find any info on line about him. Maybe an accident back in the day? not sure
I'm looking forward to a return trip herein the next week or so.
cwinder1975

Post Number:#35  Postby nateallenstark » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Hey guys i know this is an old post but id like to get out and search for this. Would you be willing to share the locations where you have found items.
nateallenstark

Post Number:#36  Postby Zco21 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Just went hiking out in that area today, didn't find anything but I'm still searching.
I would love to get some new leads on locations and any other finds.
Zco21

Previous

Return to Utah