City of the clouds

Discussions focused on the Ancient Cultures of Utah ...

City of the clouds

Post Number:#1  Postby Burntman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Wayne may in an article for ancient American had some pics of an appearant ruin in the high mountains of the wasatch. It said the ruins were on private land and and from the pics had small structures made of rock with doorways. I haven't been able to find any information about this besides the article. Anybody read that same article and know anything more about the find?
Burntman

Re: City of the clouds

Post Number:#2  Postby Lostaslost » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 am

Burntman it has been a really long time ago that I played in the Wahsatch. Thier was mining towns there for long ago and here I mean dureing the days of gold prospecting after the Mormons arrived. I really forget what the towns was built of whether it was logs and or lumber and or rock. Now I been lucky with finds in the Uintas. Some I know what they where and others I do not. They where built using big rocks and the walls where two to three foot thick. See George Thompsons book and he has pictures that he says was spanish. For yeasrs I went along with this assumption. Now for anything in the Uintas it would have to provide lots of protection from the cold and so what would the walls be as for as the thickness. I showed a guy these ruins and he has done some research and he thinks that they could be Knights ruins. The doors are just about completly covered . Just about 1 foot showing at the top of the door. Me being smartt like I am I just thought a guy would crawl in and trhen be standing and any indian would have to crawl in and then get clubbed. That just is not so. these small entreses are actually doorways. Then of course this is actaully at a sulphur mine. The mine now looks totally destroyed as the individual that last mined it had to take and close everything off as by the National Forest regulations. Yes it was definitly a mine and I am sure that the Spanish used it also. Who orignally had it built is anyone's guess. There is still two uprights that where at the mine entre. the ruins are still their also with the walls and whatever there is still below the ground . These ruins are in the timber and so pine needles and old trees along with blowing dirt and dust have covver several feet now. Maybe as much as 5 feet. Read the story of the famous shootout at Boy Scout Lake. Take Notice that George Thomspson said that the outlaw bunch orignally stopped at a Spanish Sulphur mine. I guess what makes it so confusing is that evidently their is actually a comple of sulphur mines in the Uintas. Take nmote that actually at Roseline Scotland they have manufactored powder for hundreds of years. Roseline is where Sinclair actually vbuilt his timple. I have found other ruins and I am guressing that the hole there was some sort of mine. This is not to far from Kamas but yet in the Uintas. It is also built of rocks. Not much of it left today. Just barly a foot and or two at best. Not near as big as the sulphur mine ruins.

Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#3  Postby Terry L Carter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Burntman wrote:Wayne may in an article for ancient American had some pics of an appearant ruin in the high mountains of the wasatch. It said the ruins were on private land and and from the pics had small structures made of rock with doorways. I haven't been able to find any information about this besides the article. Anybody read that same article and know anything more about the find?

Its in the mountians west of Manti. That article was written from a tour Jerry Mower gave Wayne May
Terry L Carter

Post Number:#4  Postby sanpet » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Terry the mountains west of Manti are the sanpitch mountains. I know them mountains like the back of my hand. The mountains east of Manti are the wasatch mountains. I also know them like my hand also. Sanpet
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpet

Post Number:#5  Postby Terry L Carter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:48 pm

sanpet wrote:Terry the mountains west of Manti are the sanpitch mountains. I know them mountains like the back of my hand. The mountains east of Manti are the wasatch mountains. I also know them like my hand also. Sanpet

City in the clouds was absolutely written about the mountians on the west side. what do you know about the old copper mines on the west side, not sure if they are on the Manti side or the Levan side. Was just told about it by a deer hunter who stumbled acrossed it while hunting.
Terry L Carter

Post Number:#6  Postby mrjimsfc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:32 am

Whenever I read anything written by Wayne May, it leaves me with more questions than answers. The mountains due west of Manti are not very impressive and are a couple of thousand feet lower than the peaks west of Fountain Green 25 miles to the north. There are roads all over the tops of those mountains and the ruins of ancient cities in those mountains would be common knowledge in the Sanpete area if it were true. I've never heard about any copper mines in the area but a geologist once told me that there was gold in the fill dirt for the freeway going west from Nephi. The fill came from that big borrow area south of town. :89:
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#7  Postby sanpet » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 pm

During the detacation of the Manti Hill where the temple was to be built Pres. Brigham Young said, "And wilt thou, Father, help thy people to erect this building with holy hearts, with pure hearts and holy desires? We ask thee, in the name of Jesus Christ, thy son that thou wilt hide up the treasures of the earth,that no more may be found in this section of the country. Wilt thou, O Father, rule and overrul in this? But we say not our will, but thy will be done.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpet

Post Number:#8  Postby Trigace » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Wow! No wonder I can't find anything anywhere in this section of the country!
Trigace

Return to Utah