On Trees and Pointers

Discussions focusing on the Knights of the Golden Circle ...

On Trees and Pointers

Post Number:#1  Postby midog8it » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Mornin folks, while I've been MIA a while, chasin turbines and conveyors around the country, I check in regular to keep up with whats going on with the board. Soo's I thought I try to give a fellow tennesseean (tnwoods) a hand. Being about 150 mi east or so from where I grew up you already know we're in primarily pro confederate country, so you need to remember some confederate sign was ment not to show treasure but routes to safe houses and sympathectic landowners for POW's and lost or retreating troops. As for trees, well I get a kick when I see 30yr. old Cherokee pointer trees picturred on some of the sites on the web. Especially since most (the Cherokee, Chickasaw,and Creek), were forceabily removed in the 1830's, so you've got to consider the age of the tree fist. An easy way to get an idea is to get a piece of firewood 12in. or so ( from the stump not a limb ) and simply count the total no. of rings, then count the rings in an inch, this will give you a rough estimate as to how many years a tree from your area would take to grow an inch in dia. then figgure how many inches in dia. a tree from your area would need to be to be 140yr. or older. Unless very remote I wouldn't put much faith in stars and bars unless they're 12 to 14 ft. and up as trees grow vetically faster than they grow in dia. anything lower was more likly me or one of my friends when I was 12. Also any maruading yankees would take the stars and bars as a good reason to burn everything in sight, regimental and local flags, masonic or odd symbols like some of yours are a whole different animal. Some of your symbols are interesting and I too think they may be directional, especially the triangles. Rock symbols are a lot harder to date so I approach them with the why would it be here mindset. Is it somewhere you,ve got to want to get to is another good question or is it where everybody walks or rides, to me not a good place to put something I really want to keep conceled. Although sometimes in plain sight is a great place to concel things! But even the Bible says the path to glory is narrow and difficult, and believe me those old boys used the scriptures in many different ways. Generals Lee and Jackson were even known to use battle plans from the old testiment.
To find 'em you gotta think like 'em Good Luck, Hope this little bit helps. If questioned, Remember My Dog 8 It :lol:
midog8it

Forgot somthin

Post Number:#2  Postby midog8it » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 pm

For me a metal detector is an essential piece of equipment as is a compass, and a good knife. If on federal land where detectors can be prohibited a coin pin pointer can be easily concealed in a pocket and duct taped to a stick in a pinch not that I would endorse anything that the feds wouldn't want you doing Really cheap detectors can be picked up pretty easy if you keep your eyes open, I prefer Tesoro's But even a bounty hunter's better than nothing, actually the newer ones are pretty good and a bargain even new Wally world 's got for $69 and up, forget the bells and whistles you don't need 'em. :twisted:
midog8it

Re: On Trees and Pointers

Post Number:#3  Postby Tnwoods » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:37 pm

I have relocated to CA for the forseeable future. So that little spot of mine will have to remain a mystery for now. It is a very interesting place - that is for sure. There is or was something there. It dead ends - so no reason to mark off things unless you've hidden it there. One of these days I'll get back out there. Would be a good place to hang when everything falls apart...LOL :lol:
Tnwoods

I forgot

Post Number:#4  Postby Tnwoods » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:39 pm

A friend of mine seems to think they buried a cannon there... like I could ever get that thing out of the area..LOL
Tnwoods

Re: On Trees and Pointers

Post Number:#5  Postby briantan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:30 am

When a man decides to please a woman with a gift, the chances of being successful is high when he buys her jewelry. Flowers are nice but many women are picky with flowers. On the other hand, jewelry, especially if it is in a set, will certainly be appreciated. Cufflinks
briantan

Return to Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC)