Spanish symbols?

Discussions focusing around Spanish maps ...

Spanish symbols?

Post Number:#1  Postby bonuntr » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey everyone,

My son and I found this marking in the middle of nowhere a couple of years back. At one end of a black, volcanic ridge, there is what appears to be a very big turtle with its head cocked backwards over its shoulder. This would point you to the opposite end of the ridge, (approx. 3/4 mile). At the other end of the ridge, (where the turtle head points), is this very large, red boulder that is completely out of place. It is situated in a bed of all black volcanic boulders. On it, there is this mark. We have not uncovered it as of yet, as we haven't had the time to hike into the area. Could this be Spanish? It is carved into the rock approx. 1/2" to 3/4" in depth, and seems to be very squared and precise. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
bonuntr

So many mysteries on earth...so little time here...
bonuntr

Re: Spanish symbols?

Post Number:#2  Postby Whyte Eagle » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:49 pm

That's an interesting sketch you have there Rocky ... do you have any pics of it?
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#3  Postby bonuntr » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:51 pm

No pics as of yet...we went into the area last year looking for Elk, and ended up searching for Spanish symbols for 3 days. As we have to pack in, we have planned 4 days in August for the trip back. I will take a camera this time, and something other than my hand to measure with. I will take a shovel and rock pick too, (to dig down to the bottom of the symbol).
So many mysteries on earth...so little time here...
bonuntr

Post Number:#4  Postby Tanelorn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:39 pm

Bonuntr,

If it were me, I would not disturb the rock with the carving on it at all. Instead, I would follow in the direction of the long arm that points to the right. The long arm most likely a directional marker to your next symbol or course of action. The bottom of the symbol that resembles a bowl, could very well mean a valley. With that said, I would head in the direction of the long arm to the nearest valley and look for your next set of symbols. Are there any other symbols on the stone like dots or lines? These could mean leagues or varas, but most likely leagues. That would give you an idea of how far you need to travel in the direction of the long arm. I would definitely bring a digital camera and GPS unit and take a ton of pictures of the rock and the turtle. I wish you the best of luck, have fun and be safe.

Take care,

Daniel
Nestradetu@Hotmail.com
"Pack it in, pack it out. Keep our wilderness pristine."
Tanelorn

Post Number:#5  Postby Digin4it » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:11 am

I have come across something very similar to this in Arizona, but this information may not be applicable to your site.
These "slabs" like this can sometimes be maps, or can have maps, on the back-side of it, where the slab "rests" up against the outcropping. There is one way to tell if this slab has a map on its backside, and that is by looking at this backside, where it "meets" the outcropping, and look for little pebbles between the slab and the outcropping.

These types of maps, when put into place against the outcopping, are very suseptible to the effects of cold and heat, in other words, they naturally move. The slab, being a smaller mass than the outcropping, will move more than the outcropping, which will cause the two "faces" to rub each other, which can erase, or alter, the map on this backside. Hence, the need for these little pebbles, which prevent these two faces from coming into contact with each other.

In the case of the "slab map" in Arizona, the slab was about six feet tall, and the very top two feet or so of this slab had been busted off from the main slab, and then set back on top of the slab map once the main body had been set into place. If you have this at your site, or if any of you find a similar slab map to the one I am desrcibing, then know this: that you have to remove this broken off top piece before you attempt to "pull" the main slab forward. These types of maps have very important information on them, important enough to where these broken off top pieces, if not removed first, will slide down between the slab and the outcropping (as you attempt to "pull" this slab forward to read what's behind it), effectively erasing/altering the map to a point of being totally useless.

After "they" carved the map onto the slab and were ready to put it into place against the outcropping, these little pebbles were stuck onto the slab, or stuck onto the outcropping, with a little bit of "glue" (mud, etc.), and then the slab was put into position.

It's very interesting, the color contrast in this case. The color red, in itself, gives a "direction" to look to the "west". It would be of great help to actually see a photo instead of a drawing. You're a great artist, but I can guarantee that there are some very valuable pieces of information that can only be seen with a camera or with the eye. If you do take a photo(s) try to do it at several different times throughout the day...a sunny day. (every hour or so)
Digin4it

Post Number:#6  Postby Digin4it » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:02 am

These pebbles used between these two faces will be rounded and they act like ball-bearings when there is movement.

Also, after further thought, I believe that the petroglyphs you show on this slab are telling you "to look for a slab map". If this is true, then the red slab was doing two things, first is was an "attention getter" to "pull" you in to this area to where you will see these carvings. These petroglyphs are, basically, a "T" with a "half-moon symbol" at the bottom of it. The top bar of the "T", the horizontal line, represents the "flat face" of the outcropping. The long vertical line of this "T" is a "pulling" symbol, and the half-moon is actually a "rock" or "boulder" symbol. Putting this all together we would get: "There is a rock/boulder that needs to be pulled away from the outcropping". Now, to us that may sound like an incomplete statement, but to the people who were knowledgable in the treasure codes, this would make total sense, and they would automatically know to look for a slab map.

The second thing that this red slab with the carvings is telling you is "not here, but to the west". Also, it's possible that this half-moon rock/boulder symbol is giving you a distance of "100".
Now let's put this all together: "There is a rock/boulder (slab map) that needs to be pulled away from the outcropping (in order to read it), but not here (the slab map is not here, at this very location) but go 100 varas (feet?) to the west.
But I would also look at the 50 vara (feet?) mark, the reason for this is the "T" which has a meaning of "half", or, "half the distance".

When you do find this slab map, it will not be red, it will be of the same type of rock that it is setting up against, and will look like any other part of the outcropping. What I would do is measure 100 varas in EACH direction from this red slab, and mark that distance on the ground with whatever, and then thoroughly check out everything in between these two points. Knowing what you are looking for should make it easier to spot this slab map.
Digin4it

Post Number:#7  Postby Uley Bauer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:19 am

The sites where I have found have been & are in danger of being destroyed! One place has had at least one bull dozer, which was used to explore & nothing else! They graded roads, moved tell-telling boulders & carved up large areas in general! When the next generation of explorers come along, all they'll find is rearranged landscape complete with absent symbols, carvings, maps & monument boulders! Hopefully there will be a tidbit of something to stir their imagination?
Uley Bauer

Return to Spanish Maps