Mysterious 1934 Disappearance of Explorer

For the sharing of information in memory of those who have passed on before us ...

Mysterious 1934 Disappearance of Explorer

Post Number:#1  Postby admin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:37 pm


Posts: 587
(05/06/09 7:38 PM)

Mysterious 1934 Disappearance of Explorer Everett Ruess in Utah Solved

The mysterious disappearance of Everett Ruess, a 20-year-old artist, writer and footloose explorer who wandered the Southwest in the early 1930s on a burro and who has become a folk hero to many, has been solved with the help of University of Colorado at Boulder researchers and the National Geographic Society.

The short, compelling life of Ruess, who went missing in 1934 after leaving the town of Escalante, Utah, has been the subject of much speculation. His story has spawned two documentary films, as well as plays, books, magazine and newspaper articles and a T-shirt line, and his name now graces an annual art festival in Escalante.

Ruess is well known for his artwork -- including watercolors and woodcuts of Southwest landscapes -- as well as extensive, romantic journaling of his travels. He was photographed by famous American documentary photojournalist Dorothea Lange, exchanged photos with Ansel Adams, and even merited a chapter in John Krakauer's book "Into the Wild," about another young wanderer, Chris McCandless.

An investigative article in the April/May issue of National Geographic Adventure by David Roberts, who had been probing the Ruess disappearance for years, indicates a Navajo man, Aneth Nez, told his granddaughter, Daisy Johnson, in 1971 that he witnessed the murder of a young white man near Bluff, Utah, in the 1930s by Ute Indians. Nez told her he buried the body in a crevasse on nearby Comb Ridge.

Roberts reported that in May 2008, Denny Belson, grandson of Nez and sister of Johnson, located the burial site and contacted the FBI in Monticello, Utah. FBI investigators then visited the site and took photographs. The enterprising Belson used a Google search using the keywords "missing persons," "1930s," and "Arizona/Utah," and came across stories about the disappearance and speculation about Ruess, said Roberts.
Roberts contacted Ron Maldano, the supervisory archaeologist at the Cultural Resource Compliance Section of the Navajo Nation based in Chimney Rock, Ariz. Maldano conducted a detailed examination of the burial site and determined the remains were likely Caucasian. Roberts put him in touch with two nieces and two nephews of Ruess for mitochondrial DNA samples, which proved inconclusive.

Roberts then contacted CU-Boulder anthropology Professor Dennis Van Gerven, who traveled to the site with doctoral student Paul Sandberg with the support of the National Geographic Society, excavated the remains, and returned with them to CU-Boulder with the permission of the Ruess family.

An analysis of teeth and bones by Van Gerven and Sandberg were used to determine the sex, age and stature of the person. Wisdom tooth eruption, pelvic structure, bone growth markers and femur length indicated it was a male roughly 20 years old and about 5 feet 8 inches tall -- a virtual match for Ruess, said Van Gerven.

The CU-Boulder researchers began a painstaking reconstruction of the fragile facial bones, stabilizing them on a ball of clay. Sandberg used Adobe Photoshop to superimpose photos he took of the remade face onto a frontal portrait of a smiling Ruess and a profile portrait of him, both taken in the 1930s by Lange.

"The next step was to match two points on the photos of the bones to their respective positions on the portraits," Sandberg said. "If the other anatomical points did not match, we could exclude Ruess. But all the points fell into place. The jaw fit, the curve of the nasal bones fit, the rim of the eye orbit fit and the bridge of the nose fit."

The most compelling piece of evidence was the teeth, he said. "Once a single tooth was scaled into position, the size and shape of the other teeth, as well as the morphology of the face above the teeth, matched the portrait. The correspondence was striking," Sandberg said.
"We spent a lot of time making certain that the skeletal images superimposed on the Lange photos remained anatomically exact and were in no way altered by the technique," said Van Gerven.

"But we wound up with a constellation of evidence that was a remarkable match to Ruess," he said. "We had a male about 20 years old, 5 feet 8 inches tall with facial bones that precisely matched the photographs. We concluded it was very, very unlikely that this was not Everett Ruess. But we also knew the final arbiter in this case would be genetic testing."

Van Gerven contacted CU-Boulder molecular, cellular and developmental biology Professor Kenneth Krauter, an expert in DNA analysis. Krauter brought in CU-Boulder research assistant Helen Marshall, who had extensive experience working with DNA. Marshall took two small femur fragments and prepared them by grinding and liquefying them, subsequently extracting, purifying and amplifying DNA samples.

The team members used techniques developed as a byproduct of the Human Genome Project that permitted them to assess the passing of DNA markers from one generation to the next. "We used the most stringent protocols and standards available," said Marshall. "The results were totally blind in the sense that the computer doesn't have an opinion in terms of the DNA marker matches."

High-tech "gene chips," or microarrays, made by Affymetrix Corp., a global company headquartered in Santa Clara, Calif., provided Krauter and Marshall with 600,000 separate DNA markers from the femur DNA. These were compared with roughly the same number of DNA markers extracted from saliva samples taken from the two nieces and two nephews of Ruess. As an added precaution, the team also compared the markers with the DNA of 50 people around the world.

CU-Boulder Assistant Professor Matthew McQueen of CU-Boulder's Institute for Behavioral Genetics, consulting with experts at Oxford University in England, statistically analyzed the data. The results showed the nieces and nephews of Ruess -- all siblings -- shared about 50 percent of the genetic markers with each other, and all four shared about 25 percent of the DNA markers from the femur bone samples. The results from the DNA comparisons from the 50 random people from around the world showed a less than 1 percent match, said Krauter.
"It was almost exactly what geneticists would expect when comparing DNA between nieces and nephews and an uncle or an aunt," said Krauter. "This is entirely consistent with the hypothesis that the bones are those of Everett Ruess, and make it virtually impossible that the bones are from an unrelated individual.

"The combination of the forensic analysis and the genetic analysis makes it an open and shut case," Krauter said. "I believe it would hold up in any court in the country."

The wandering spirit of Ruess, whom author Wallace Stegner once compared to a young John Muir, appears to have finally come to rest. The family of Ruess plans to have the remains cremated and scattered over the Pacific Ocean. Case closed.
Site Admin
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:11 pm

Wow! Now that is an interesting TRUE story

Post Number:#2  Postby admin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Florida Photographer

Posts: 608
(05/07/09 12:05 PM)

This story needs to be made into a TV documentary. This real event is way, way more interesting than any of the fiction that the "Uinta book writers" have ever put out over the decades.

God bless the Navajo man, Aneth Nez, who gave Everett Ruess a proper burial; without which none of this could have come about.

This story only goes to prove that the truth is usually more interesting than fiction.

Thanks for posting this WJ
Site Admin
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:11 pm

Here is just a tidbit from Ruess's journal

Post Number:#3  Postby admin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Florida Photographer

Posts: 609
(05/07/09 12:18 PM)

Shows what type of a person he was:

1933 (Sequoia National Park and north, packing with two burros):

June 3
"Trout fried in cornmeal with fried cheese sandwiches widened the horizon considerably."
June 8
"I made a prodigious quantity of tomato, peanut butter and rye sandwiches, and ate them while I read Rabelais, concerning the advent of Gargantua."
June 12
"In the city I sometimes wonder if one has a right to be happy when all around is such strife, discord, misery, and undeserved suffering. Here the thought never intrudes itself."
"I drank at a stream, and strode gallantly up, singing some Dvorak melodies, putting all the volume I had into them. The forest boomed with my rollicking song.... I rocked from side to side in the road, spun round in circles, looking up at the stars, and swung exultantly down the white pathway to adventure. Adventure is for the adventurous. I am young and a fool. Forgive me and read on."
Site Admin
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:11 pm

Re: Mysterious 1934 Disappearance of Explorer

Post Number:#4  Postby admin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:41 pm


Posts: 1483
(05/14/09 10:14 PM)

June 12
"In the city I sometimes wonder if one has a right to be happy when all around is such strife, discord, misery, and undeserved suffering. Here the thought never intrudes itself."

wow FP thanks for the quotes , i think i would have liked this guy
Site Admin
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:11 pm

Re: Mysterious 1934 Disappearance of Explorer

Post Number:#5  Postby laylochameleon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:44 am

Interesting no one has updated thread to confirm that CU tests were flawed and remains are of Navajo Indian male not Everett Ruess.

AP News 10-24-2009
New DNA testing shows that the disappearance of writer, artist and explorer Everett Ruess is still a mystery — despite findings earlier this year that indicated his remains had been found.

The 20-year-old vagabond from California vanished 75 years ago in the steep and rugged canyon country of southern Utah. Ruess has since attracted a cult following passionate about the young man's writing and inspired by his disappearance.

Military Help

The Ruess family contacted the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory in Rockville, Md., and asked for help. The lab uses DNA to identify newly recovered remains of American military men and women from as far back as World War II.

The so-called Ruess remains presented a research opportunity. The bones sent to the lab had been in a desert environment for decades and could help lab scientists figure out how to recover and analyze DNA from unidentified soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen killed in desert wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"This is typically a type of material that we don't often encounter," notes Mike Coble, director of the lab's research section. "This represented a new type of material for us to test."

Coble's crew compared DNA from the remains with DNA from Ruess' living male descendants and found no connection. The remains carried no trace of a chromosomal characteristic unique to males in Ruess' family.

In fact, the scientists concluded that the remains are likely from a young Navajo.

The Wrong Remains?

The new test results prompted the DNA testing group at the University of Colorado to admit to flaws in its tests. The Colorado group accepts the findings of the Armed Forces lab.

Coble adds that his team became fascinated with the Ruess story.

"The scientist who did most of the lab work has pictures of Everett," Coble says. "She's been reading his work, and it is amazing how his writings are still very, very powerful."

Writer Roberts still believes the murder story told by the family of Navajos. He thinks he and others found the wrong remains.

"Why would a guy make up a story like this?" Roberts asks. "And why would he keep it secret for so many years?"

"Most people think, great GOD will come from the sky, take away every pain & make everybody feel high. But if you knew what life is worth, you would look for yours on Earth" Bob Marley
User avatar
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:22 am
Location: Southern Oresgone

Re: Mysterious 1934 Disappearance of Explorer

Post Number:#6  Postby Scipio » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 am

Hey, wait just a dang minute!

Didn’t you read the first post? It ended with “case closed” after a preponderance of empirical scientific evidence, involving sources and contributions from as far away as England and maybe even Bluff. They even used “stringent protocols and standards” rather than the common, sloppy protocols and standards most of us are used to. They reconstructed a clay head and looked at teeth and really, really hoped they had it right.

How can you come in here and say they were wrong?

Has science, A.K.A. theory morphed into fact, been proven wrong once again?

And look at the dates. These studies weren’t years apart, they appear to have been done nearly simultaneously.

Hmmm, I just can’t believe Science, with all its subterfuge, guess work, pomp, ego, agenda, motive, reputation, and opportunity could be wrong. Is this the first time? Perhaps an anomaly?

I still think, with many of you, that Dinosaurs came from Mars on a shiny spaceship with Raymond Burr and no scientific falderal will ever change that opinion! Prove me wrong, if you dare!
User avatar
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:51 am

Return to Memorials

  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest