What are these crest ?

Discussion focused on the ancient European cultures ...

What are these crest ?

Post Number:#1  Postby flhman73 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:48 am

These have been in my family for a very long time and I am interested in what they actualy are.
It seems they may have been removed from some other object in order to be framed as they are now.
The crowns at the top of both may have some significance , I dont know.
Any help would be interesting.
Thanks

flhman73

Re: What are these crest ?

Post Number:#2  Postby Ryuuki513 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 pm

I dont know if you know a lot about crests, but;
The crown means royal, though usually there is a little cross on the top so the fact that there isn't perhaps suggests a indirect link to royality or the crown rather then a direct link(such as a cousin or aunt/uncle as indirect). In alot of european creats blue usually means truth and loyality, green for hope and love and gold for generosity and 'elevation of the mind'. The purple with the crown is also an indication of royality, sovereignty and justice. The figures in the top image inside the gold part of the crest almost look like rooks in chess or tower? That can mean saftey or a good home to all...
The tomato looking thing in the other image (least this is the first thing that popped into my head) is more likely a type of fruit. A family that was success in growing fruits (like a pomegranet- or it looks like one in you image) meant peace- after all if one had the patience to grow fruit, they were not like to be a hot headed and warring type. Of course the fruit can be a good connection- after all long ago pomegranets did not grow every where and usually there is a strong association with the fruit it's self in order for a family to put it in a crest. They could of been peaceful, but to pick a certain fruit there usually was another reason.
I don't know if this helps. A site with the meaning on family crests is http://www.fleurdelis.com/meanings. They are alright. Also en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraldy may help with research.
I hope this helps
Ryuuki513

Return to European