Aaron Daniels and Carre-Shinob

Discussion of the ever elusive location we've come to know as Carre-Shinob ... is it fact or legend?

Aaron Daniels and Carre-Shinob

Post Number:#1  Postby Randy W Lewis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:05 pm

I have a question...
can someone answer it for me,,
I read a story once where Aron Daniels was blindfolded and taken to a mine,, he said the indians would not go into the mine just led him close to it,, he went in he had no light,,
was told not to touch anything,,

my question is this,, was that mine the same mine as the Carre shinob??????
Randy W Lewis

Re: Aaron Daniels and Carre-Shinob

Post Number:#2  Postby Randy Bradford » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:32 am

Without my books handy to reference it's hard to say, but most every author has written about it. Boren, Shaffer, Wilkerson, Thompson and Rhoades all have that story in their books. A couple of things I recall off the top of my head. Shaffer had it in "Of Men and Gold," and interestingly he ommits place names. Rhoades published the full letter first as I recall so it struck me as odd tht one author left out details while the other did not. I'd have to reread Wilkerson's account which was published later but seemed to imply, if I recall correctly, that he had recieved the Daniels materials in the late 1960s from Boren or Rhoades. My suspicion is that the Aaron Daniels journal is like many other items in Boren's collection, something that he has sole access to and has never been authenticated.

That being said, Daniels refered to it as the "Sacred Mine." As I see it, part of the problem with the Rhoades Mines is a sheer level of confusion. Carre-Shin-Ob, The Sacred Mine, the Church Mine, the Brigham Young Mine. These terms are used both interchangeably and individually leading to no real clarity about what's being sought after. Boren leads up to the Daniels journala account in "Gold of the Carre Shinob" by stating, "One of the journal entries clearly indicates that Happy Jack certainly knew the location of the Sacred Mine #1-and thus also the Carre-Shinob." Sacred Mine #1 suggests there is at the very least a Sacred Mine #2. Add to that, you have the idea of the "Rhoades Mines," which also, depending on the story teller, refer to one of the above mine(s) or mine(s) Thomas/claeb were working that were NOT one of the above mines. To further confuse matters, you have cometing theories about where the sacred mine(s) might be located. Whiterocks, Upper Rock Creek, Moon Lake, Paradise Peak, all seem to be viable candidates in some fashion or another.

Just some thoughts Randy, though I realize I have not only NOT answered your question, I've really muddied the waters in the process.
Randy Bradford

Post Number:#3  Postby Randy Bradford » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:52 am

This might help though. This comes from “Out of the Dust,” by Shaffer. A couple of things about this. He writes that “the following are excerpts from interviews with Mary Reed Harris, daughter of Jimmie Reed and a member of the Ute Indian Tribe. The interview, from the Aaron Daniels collection, took place in 1920." Seeing the originals, and not excerpts, would be fascinating if for no other reason it would vie us a much earlier date of first reference to Carre Shin-Ob than we already have.

Carre-Shin-Ob, which is what the Utes call the Forbidden mines, was within site of our house, but nobody ever found it and the Indians won’t go there. They believe it is haunted. My father told me he had seen the Carre-Shib-Ob once, and that inside the entrance to the cavern or the tunnel was dead bodies or bones, piled up, and bags of gold ore.
Randy Bradford

Post Number:#4  Postby Randy W Lewis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:22 am

ok thanks Mr Bradford

the mine I have in my sights is the mine Aaron was blindfolded and took to,,, the location but not the mine can be seen from below,,, I have the map to it,,,
Randy W Lewis

Post Number:#5  Postby Randy Bradford » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:41 am

Is this the same one oyu said was dynamited shut?
Randy Bradford

Post Number:#6  Postby Randy W Lewis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:22 pm

nope

this one is the one in Aaron's diary,,,, after I go there I will tell you,,,

haven't ever been there,,,
Randy W Lewis

Post Number:#7  Postby roughrockxxx » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:47 pm

I always wondered if Aaron did actually have a diary. It seems to surface from Kerry ross boren.
Weather is means anything or not, June B. told me at a campout in rockcreek that whenever he would get information releated
to the diary it would be written by krb on paper and the maps drawn by him. I guess maybe that's the only way he would do it.
Oro told me one time that he researched the diary and all he could come up with were accounts for buying goods.
roughrockxxx

Post Number:#8  Postby zelph » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 pm

Randy Bradford wrote:This might help though. This comes from “Out of the Dust,” by Shaffer. A couple of things about this. He writes that “the following are excerpts from interviews with Mary Reed Harris, daughter of Jimmie Reed and a member of the Ute Indian Tribe. The interview, from the Aaron Daniels collection, took place in 1920." Seeing the originals, and not excerpts, would be fascinating if for no other reason it would vie us a much earlier date of first reference to Carre Shin-Ob than we already have.

Carre-Shin-Ob, which is what the Utes call the Forbidden mines, was within site of our house, but nobody ever found it and the Indians won’t go there. They believe it is haunted. My father told me he had seen the Carre-Shib-Ob once, and that inside the entrance to the cavern or the tunnel was dead bodies or bones, piled up, and bags of gold ore.

Did he bring home one or two bags of ore?
ZELPHS-STOVEWORKS Home of quality lightweight backpacking stoves. AND Burrows Lowery Cave
zelph

Post Number:#9  Postby Randy Bradford » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Doubtful, he was already chastised for picking up gold nuggets on the way to the cave...he was also told not to touch anything.
Randy Bradford

Post Number:#10  Postby Tanelorn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:00 am

Randy,

The Aaron Daniels story you seek is on pages 168, 169 and 170 of "The Gold of Carrie-Shinob." Good luck and be safe.

Take care,

Daniel
Nestradetu@Hotmail.com
"Pack it in, pack it out. Keep our wilderness pristine."
Tanelorn

Post Number:#11  Postby zelph » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 am

Randy Bradford wrote:Doubtful, he was already chastised for picking up gold nuggets on the way to the cave...he was also told not to touch anything.

Hmmm, you talking about the same place where the AOTC is? :mrgreen: Same cave as where the remains of Walkara reside?
ZELPHS-STOVEWORKS Home of quality lightweight backpacking stoves. AND Burrows Lowery Cave
zelph

Post Number:#12  Postby Randy W Lewis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:26 pm

I think there is a place nearby where there was supposed to be popcorn gold,,, and I doubt wakarra is any where near,,, but we will see..
Randy W Lewis

Return to Carre-Shinob