Liquid Gold

Discussion of the ever elusive location we've come to know as Carre-Shinob ... is it fact or legend?

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#1  Postby MidnightShip » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:47 am

The many stories I've heard over the last year regarding Carre-Shinob are coming to surface.
Gold, like hot molten lava, ran through the many tunnels and caverns leaving the walls encrusted.The seven cities were built from/in these caves.The underground structures go as far as 5 levels down.
Anyone ever hear this story before?
MidnightShip

Re: Liquid Gold

Post Number:#2  Postby JB Lapoint » Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:07 pm

nope thats a new one.......there are a couple of places where you can find quick silver/ mercury on the surface but that be the only liquid oneJOE The Grumpy O'l Fart
JB Lapoint

Post Number:#3  Postby Blke36bimmer » Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:29 pm

Yup, Liquid gold would be on the floors and thats it, if it was flowing with the lava etc...anyone filling you with stories of gold encrusted walls has been hanging out with Boren too long....
Blke36bimmer

Post Number:#4  Postby AUFinder » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:54 pm

I've heard of golden icicles, seen the ground gold with dust, mined fingers of gold,and picked nuggets out of outhouse holes,but never heard of this.
There are ~Lost Caves~ or atleast the stories of a deep caves with an ocean conection that rises and falls with the tides and pools filled with nuggets. Northern CA,NV.
(better time spent looking elsewhere)

Aufinder01
AUFinder

Post Number:#5  Postby Satorilost » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:37 am

Thought that tide mine was in the Mohave outside Barstow
Somewhere
Satorilost

Re:Liquid Gold

Post Number:#6  Postby AUFinder » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:55 am

No, another one Southwest of Las Vagas.
Same kind of story.
AUFinder

Tide Cavernes?

Post Number:#7  Postby BriannasDad » Wed May 05, 2004 3:48 pm

Aufinder01, or any one else, please take a look at my thread in Caves, Other under Tucson Caves around Tuscon.

If you have any information or other stories please share. I would like to get there sometime in the not to near future and take a look around.Brady
- Still Looking
BriannasDad

Post Number:#8  Postby elgatodelnoche » Wed May 12, 2004 6:41 am

Hey JB Lapoint how about posting come gps coords for the places that have mercury on the surface. I occasionally find mercury when I am crevicing, but that is what is left over from careless miners. I have never seen it occur naturally and would love to see it. Thanks. :"}
elgatodelnoche

quicksilver

Post Number:#9  Postby JB Lapoint » Fri May 14, 2004 7:11 am

one is in whiterocks canyon marked on the boren map....never been there but heard its there
a good source of info told me theres a place on sink ridge in dry fork that it seeps out of the rocks when it gets hot

i think i may have some cords to 1 and maybe both but will have to look for them

Joe
JB Lapoint

gold magma

Post Number:#10  Postby Unregistered User » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:44 am

Unregistered User

Re: gold magma

Post Number:#11  Postby Blke36bimmer » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:41 am

Hey Midnightship...
Are you still playing around in the Henrys with the Martinique mining co.? I left a card up on your claim site and on the trailer up there. I found a site--and some really nice ore, not too terribly far from the Martinique claim - that could be exactly what they started out looking for, must have been where Frank Lawler found.... I also have some info on another site in the area that could probably be located with someone who knew where they were going. BTW... do you know what the plans are for repair of the road up to Bromide Basin? Im all for 4wheeling but I cant traverse that water damage. oh and btw... I left a marker just off the left side of the road before the wash out on the way up to Bromide. I was pinging some nice solid signals but there were others around and I didnt want to arouse curiousity.
Last but not least... right by the turn off (by the Crane) is a nice new GPS, I stopped there to have a drink and orient myself and left the GPS on the back of the truck, Im sure it probably dropped off on the first good bump. The good news is that its waterproof so if you find it, it should still be good.-- email or post if you get a chance!!
Blke36bimmer

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#12  Postby rockman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:46 pm

I'm new to this subject of liquid gold seeping to the surface when it gets warm...............makes me wonder, can a guy see all the steam and vapors coming off of the ground hot enough to melt gold, early in the morning, or in the winter?
rockman

Liquid Gold?

Post Number:#13  Postby CaverDaveUtah » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:10 am

There seems to be some misunderstandings here. Liquid gold is very heavy, and also very very hot (several times hotter than your kitchen oven could go). Volcanos and other near-surface geologic processes are not hot enough to melt gold, and most other kinds of rocks would melt first. So, liquid gold magmas or rivers of liquid gold are not going to occur at the earth's surface. And, because gold is so heavy, if a large volume of gold did melt somehow, it would certainly flow (or melt its way) downwards rather than upwards. Rivers of liquid gold (magma or otherwise), flowing on or near the surface, make nice fairy tales, but they don't exist on this planet. They only exist in certain fictional treasure stories.

caverdaveutah
CaverDaveUtah

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#14  Postby rockman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:59 pm

That is the geologists answer to what I just said!!! Thats 1 point for caverdave!
rockman

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#15  Postby Herb » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:28 pm

Rockman, here is an article on what is called epithermal, or hydrothermal, gold deposits which is probably the origin of the information that you may have heard about. Hopefully this will kind of explain how it works.
http://www.aist.go.jp/GSJ/dMR/Jikken/Epithermal.html
Herb

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#16  Postby rockman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:07 pm

Herb, I couldnt get anything on the link, but I do have some understang of the hydrothermal deposits. I believe these are the volcanic vents I have seen mentioned at some locations in the ocean. There was talk of a lot of mineralization including gold around these vents. Without looking, crystalization maybe?? I understand why gold is found around volcanic areas. I'm pretty sure if gold is being deposited close to the surface you would see it happening. That was my only point. I would still like to see the link, will try it again. Thanks Herb.
rockman

Hydrothermal Gold

Post Number:#17  Postby mrjimsfc » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:44 am

According to the reference, you should be able to find some pretty good gold about 3,300 feet below ~Old Faithfull~ in Yellowstone. What we need is a pre-tertiary ~Old Faithfull~ that was uplifted and eroded so that all that good gold is available at the surface.
~If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
—Oliver Wendell Holmes
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#18  Postby Herb » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 am

I just checked it, the link does work but it's really sloooooow. I first heard about hydrothermal gold deposits back in the early 90's. There is supposed to be gold nuggets to be had in the lava flows up in northern Nevada in the area around Rabbithole Springs about 65-70 miles to the east of Gerlach.

http://www.19thcenturypublications.com/GuidePhotos.asp

http://www.emigranttrailswest.org/ascenes2.htm

However, we got caught up in exploring and detecting in an old mining site and never did get to the spring nor did we find the lava flows. There are several hot springs out there, here is a photo of the most popular, yes it's real,

http://serc.carleton.edu/images/microbelife/microbservatories/nevadahotsprings/3_Buddas_Header.jpg

If you are in the area around Imlay/Ryepatch right off of Hwy 80 you might want to give this area a try

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospecting_info/majuba_mtns.htm

If you are REALLY interested in prospecting in Nevada I highly recommend you get this book,

http://www.amazon.com/Nevada-Ghost-Towns-Mining-Historical/dp/0913814040

a really nice book, chock full of photos and stories. I bought mine way back when it first came out, paid over $35 for it but now there are some great prices on used ones on the market. Definitely worth adding to you library.
Herb

Liquid Gold

Post Number:#19  Postby rockman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:15 am

Your a definite asset to this forum Herb. Your ability to find info amazes me. I google earth Nevada all the time and look for old tailings,etc., but it is too far for me to go to look. :"(
rockman

Post Number:#20  Postby Gohot » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:01 pm

It has been said in stories that the gold was such that it was chopped off the walls with a hatchet or knife, so one would be led to believe the walls were several feet thick, almost an internal cocoon of sorts of gold inside a huge tunnel. At least thats the picture i get. I think if anything it was a hand carved interior that was covered in gold, not a solid gold area where a room was carved out of solid gold. I doubt if a solid gold 'plug' filling any cave or lava tube has ever been reported or found, I also think the amount of gold reported time and again has been fabricated or just a victim of hyperbole.
Never the less, the subject is extremely interesting, and if it exists, it will one day be found, and perhaps by someone not even familiar with these posts and stories and their players.
Gohot

Post Number:#21  Postby Gohot » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:45 am

The Gold of Carre Shinob
1 ... 5, 6, 7by buffaloman » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:55 am

After looking again about the solid gold lava tubes, I read it from here. I still don't think that the mechanism exists where lava tubes were the pathways of molten gold.
Gohot

Post Number:#22  Postby elgatodelnoche » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:01 pm

I tend to agree with you. Hydrothermal vents is what I am thinking.
elgatodelnoche

Post Number:#23  Postby Hair » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:50 pm

Could Shinob have been mixed up for Cibola, the city if gold? That name rings a "golden" bell
Hair

Return to Carre-Shinob