Searching the Uintahs

Discussion of the ever elusive location we've come to know as Carre-Shinob ... is it fact or legend?

Searching the Uintahs

Post Number:#1  Postby nix » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:56 pm

would anybody here be so kind as to advise me on where i might focus my physical search ? i realize i have probably not done my share of research as i have only read "Lost Gold of the Uintah" by Gale Rhoades and online articles/forums . its just getting warm and i am too excited to get out in the mountains and start my search but would really appreciate some direction from someone with a more in depth knowledge on the sacred Ute mines . i am not going out there expecting to come back with anything besides an amazing adventure i would be lying if i said i wasnt interested in finding gold however i would not dare disrespect something so sacred and steal from this place im more so interested in actually seeing this legendary cavern and exploring it . i might add that i am not an experienced treasure hunter but i am an avid rock climber and cave explorer . my favorite thing is to go deep inside caves just to get a glimpse of something very few have ever laid eyes on its an amazing feeling
nix

Re: Let the truth be known...

Post Number:#2  Postby Lostaslost » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:56 am

Nix you got major problems here in dealing with this. You sitting here and telling me you do not know hardly a thing but you are ready to go lookinjg and searching. Do you have any idea how large the Uintas Is? I guess without doing any reachearch at all on what you are looking for you had better stay in your back yard....You might want to run down to Orem on State and pull into K-Mart tyhere and then drive to the south parking lot. Park there and walk acrosas the stree to Rocky Mountain Prospectors. Then you might find more to research and see if this is really waht you are wanting to do. Trell Roger that Lost said Hi!

Pick you up a couple more books there to read and study. Roger can help you on anything you need.

Now for all to know I do have some confusion with the mines. I got real problems with the Sacred Mine # 2. I do certainly know more than most on it. My problem is just what did the Templers do there. What did they store there? Why did they use two places at least for storage. May have used more than tyhis totally and then so could have the Aztec. Their is only one way for sure to find out and this is going to be real tough for sure.

Anyway take care
Lost
Lostaslost

Re: Let the truth be known...

Post Number:#3  Postby nix » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:32 pm

thanks for the reply Lost . the thing is i am going hiking anyhow so i figured i might as well kick off my search now rather than later . anyhow i will visit the prospector store you spoke of and if i come across Roger i will be sure to tell him Lost says hi . are there any books in particular you feel would get me on the right track as soon as possible . i am doing the research slowly :~O i try to match up any maps or areas i read about onto google earth to try and get a general area that i c and spend a few weekends scouring :~O i realize with my lack of knowledge on the subject at the moment i probably have better odds winning the lottery than stumbling upon any sacred mines or caves up there but if im gonna be out backpacking i might as well be looking at the same time .

I hope i dont sound too foolish
nix

Re: Searching the Uintahs

Post Number:#4  Postby Quinda » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Don't worry Nix, don't let Lost scare you off (he's harmless and admits himself that he is as lost as anyone ;=) ), and you certainly don't sound foolish.

It'll be a great adventure and you'll probably make some new friends along the way. You don't necessarily need to stop in at the shop Lost mentions to find reading material, for that you can get it right online, and I'm sure others will offer their suggestions.

I don't think the snow has cleared quite yet from the Uintahs has it?

oh and welcome to the Ancient Lost Treasures forum!
Quinda
Site Admin

Post Number:#5  Postby Tanelorn » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 am

Nix,

Here are some books I have found on the subject. If you would like to chat, you have my e-mail address. Best of luck to you, stay safe and have a great day.

The Gold of Carre-Shinod – Kerry Ross Boren, Lisa Lee Boren
Some Dreams Die – George A. Thompson
Lost Treasures of the Old Spanish Trail - George A. Thompson
Sacred Gold – Dean Goodrich
The Utah Gold Rush - Kerry Ross Boren, Lisa Lee Boren, Randy W. Lewis
Following the Legends – Dale R. Bascom
Treasure Hunter’s Field Notebook – Mike ‘Hawkeye’ Pickett
Legend of the Lost Josephine Mine - Joseph R. Young
Faded Footprints - George A. Thompson
Sacred Gold – G.N. Hawkins
The Mystic Cipher – Dennis L. Mangrum
La Mina del Yutas - Steven B. Shaffer
Of Men and Gold - Steven B. Shaffer
Nachi - Steven B. Shaffer
Treasures of the Ancients - Steven B. Shaffer
Out of the Dust - Steven B. Shaffer
Voices of the Ancients - Steven B. Shaffer (Not yet Released)
Footprints In the Wilderness – Gale R. Rhoades, Kerry R. Boren
Waybill to Lost Spanish Mines and Treasure – Gale R. Rhoades
Lost Gold of the Uintahs – Gale R. Rhoades
A History of the Lost Rhoades Mines – Gale R. Rhoades
The Rocks Begin to Speak – Lavan Martineau
X-Marks the Spot: (The last great scavenger hunt) - Robert L. Gifford

Take care,

Daniel
Nestradetu@Hotmail
"Pack it in, pack it out. Keep our wilderness pristine."
Tanelorn

Post Number:#6  Postby Lostaslost » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Tanelorn, noot ever will I try to discorage someone from searching. The books will give you p[lenty and then some more places to search. Basically you will find that all places are coverend in all of the Uintas. I have not found a actuall shortage of mines in the books and or the mountains. Get out and look and be very careful.

Yep, I have bought many books at Rocky Mountain Prospectors and then a lot of other places. Amazon has gotten a good share of business from me also!

My suggestion to you on books is The Gold of the Carrie-Shinob by Kerry Ross Boren. Be sure and get Following the Ark of Covanant. Then George Thompson's book Faded Footprints. Dale Bscom's book Following the Ledgends is a good one. There is lots of books that can lead you forward from this point. You can learn to search for your resaerch material forward from this point. There is lots to research.

My guess is that this mine is going to stay hidden for a long while yet. Your dreams can still come true. Be very careful when you have it all figured. Those Utes do see you and I can assure you of this.

Take care
Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#7  Postby sanpete » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Lost can you ever say anything good with out bringing k.r.boreing and his "Jayson and the Argonots"? Hope you are OK sanpet
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpete

Post Number:#8  Postby Tanelorn » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Lost,

Your a bit rough around the edges sometimes, but I still think your a pretty cool guy. Keep the great info coming and stay warm in windy Wyoming.

Take care,

Daniel
Nestradetu@Hotmail.com
Tanelorn

Post Number:#9  Postby Trigace » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:30 am

Nix-
You asked how you should focus your search in the Uintahs. I'll tell you how I've done it. I read the stories in the books, as listed by Tanelorn and Lost, and pick a story that seems interesting that I would like to check out. I study the area the story refers to and try to relate it to the description in the story. I use maps included with the story and try to relate them to current maps of the general area. Then I go out to the location, taking all the information with me from the story. Using the clues on how to get to the mine or cache I begin to look for those clues or landmarks. Usually, if it is a true story, you can find most of the landmarks but not the last one or two clues that take you to the mine. That's why these mines aren't found....the last and most imortant landmarks or clues are missing. Sometimes you can actually find the mine but it will be an empty prospect hole or worked out prospect. Or many times it will be covered over by tons of material.

There will be many stories that are flat out stories. Made up to mislead or deceive for any number of reasons. Other stories are based on fact but have been embellished so much that it would be nearly impossible to locate the site. When you try to follow the descriptions to these false stories you may find one or two general landmarks that fit the story but then nothing fits and the directions usually lead you into an area where it would be impossible to prove or disprove the story just because of the huge area required to be searched to verify the story.

As you search for the sites of stories you read about, it is just as exciting to find new or different sites as it is to find the site you were looking for. This happens quite often as I prowl around the High Uintahs and low Uintahs. Just always keep your eyes open as you hike, looking not only for clues to your intended site but for anything else that may be in the area. There isn't a story for every mine or cache that's out there.

One of the first stories I tried to locate was of Aaron Daniels' description of his trip to the Carre-Shinob. Some of the landmarks are easy to find but others don't fit or aren't there. It seems that he wrote the story and made the map several years after he had gone to the location so possibly his description is not as accurate as it could have been. The Chalk Cliffs below Mosby Mountain are a key landmark to this site but no one can find the exact location of the mine.

Some stories of mines are located on Ute Tribal lands. Don't even consider going there. Unless you are a Ute. They aren't too kind to prospectors who go on their lands without permission.

Pick a location you want to check out and tell us on this website when and where you want to go. Maybe I or others on this site would be able to tie in with you in your search or at least give you some information from our perspective on that location.

Trigace
Trigace

Post Number:#10  Postby Lostaslost » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Sanpet I kinda almost like Boren. He tells the truth as he sees it weither anyone else sees it that way and or not. I have not ever meet him but I sure need to. You do not like him cause you are trying to protect something. So I understand. Unfortuantly it can not ever be protected. There is just to much out and about in many books other than the Carrie and all other things that very well migh exist. I am quiet sure that Kerry knows way more than he ever has wrote.

Tanelorn I think you are describing a Diamond in the rough! I am quiet sure my old lady could very well put it into other words. She do't beat around the bush to much with it at all. I ought to run her off! She only been around for about 36 years now and I can not run her off with a stick.

Trigace it sounds like to me you are slowing down. Yep that is preety much how I do it but I do brain wash myself with the books. It sure takes time for the searches. You can search and never find a thing. Then to you can search and be just a little lucky and it will fall into place. People hide a lot of things here for some reason. I done did that once myself?

We got one gillion faults. I use the faults and the fault maps. This is where the gold and silver lies along with other minerals. Now, can you see the fault? Faults are all over the fault maps but then you might not be able to see it. Some are very visable and some are not. Still you can follow them if you learn to do this. Can you place yourself on a map with a GPS? If you can use a GPS then you can place yourself on a fault. Track a line!

This is a place to learn. I have been far. All from this site and other's ideas. Whyte has helped a lot. This site alone is a learning place and I sure hope everyone knows this.

Take care
'Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#11  Postby Lostaslost » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Ok just to let everyone know here that I am still out and about. I have also read a real good book. The mine area that I have been to is not anywhere near the Carrie. I have not been anywhere near the mine and or Cibola.

I found some interesting stuff but not the mine. I saw some real interesting stuff also this summer. Any of you remember Lousisiana and the sink holes that occured. Any of you remember the sink hole in Salt Lake City last summer. Well while camping I saw a sink hole. More to it than just that.

So the Carrie-Shinob has not been wrote on since June the 30th by Bart. So I am going to open this up again but not concerning his link. Always listening and learning and researching. Tonight just talking with a individaul that does not know anything concerning the Uintas he just so happen to throw something out to me. Kind of almost surprised me. He is a hunter big time. He bought a Rhoades Mine book and never has read it. Well he said something not concerning the Rhoades Mine and or the Carrie. I was able to make a connection with what he said. I asked him what he did know about this subject. Then he said something that about blew my mind. Now I got to do some researching on this. It is so important that I want even say here. It could be so important. I just want everyone to know I am still busy. I know all are thinking Gold. Look at it with the big picture. Montezuma's Treasure and that is a fact. The Templar Treasure and this includes the Ark. Yep it is here!

I have been to the Spanish Ruins a couple of times this year. I have been to the Sun Glyph several times this year and plan on returning soon. I did see the Medicine Wheel that is in this area several weeks and thank the individual that took me to see it. I have seen the one in the Big Horns and will plan on seeing it again soon as I can and this may be next year before I can get to it. Now the one in the Big Horns is huge and made with boulders. This one that I saw recently was small and made with little rocks. I was expecting something different. Like I have said in the past there was one that was destroyed on Medicine Butt. Supposedly the State of Wyoming was going to name the Butt Freemont Mountain as Freemont was the first to see the Medicine Wheel there and is what I was told. I do not know this for certain but this is what I was told. Well the Indians throwed a fit and said this Mountain was sacred. Therefor the mountain was named Medicine Butt. I do not know if the indians wanted it called that. I need to do some research on all of this. Of course thes sites are related to the Carrie as they where done by the Templars. Same goes for the glyph at Spanish Fork if you know what I am talking here. As I once said the Sun Glyphs where follow from the East all the Way to the North Dakota where the Mandans are located. Lewis and Clark found that the Mandans lived in stone houses. Some had walls around them. The Mandans had different colored eyes than most Indians and different colored hair also.

This winter and not to far off now I will get busy doing more research. I am always researching. I think I may have hit the nail right on the head for the next research. Still do be seen. Seen a few symbols this year in a new area. This of course here I am talking Spanish Symbols. Not dead yet!

Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#12  Postby Potato » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:02 pm

So I just signed up here and I am enjoying reading some of the posts some informative and some comical. Took my first trip to the Uintas this past weekend and it is some beautiful country. I wasn't expecting to find anything although I had some planned places to check out off a bit of research I had done, however I did find something very interesting that makes me want to keep looking.

OK now to my point the gentlemen at the beginning of this post research or not just get up there and have fun, worst that will happen (as long as you don't get too crazy) is you will get a good work out see some beautiful country and maybe find some cool stuff.
Potato

Post Number:#13  Postby Whyte Eagle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Welcome to the form Potato, and you're right on the money ... A little work out never hurt anyone right? ... There's some pretty interesting things down your way as well ... ;=) ...
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#14  Postby KsTHer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Welcome to the forum, Potato!

There is a lot to be seen in the Uintah Mountains. Good luck in your search.

KsTHer
KsTHer

Post Number:#15  Postby Potato » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks Ksther and Whyte, look forward to reading more here.
Potato

Post Number:#16  Postby Robert Gifford » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey,

I hope that everyone keeps looking in the Uintah's, at least starting from the rock image of Towats/TOBATS. It's hard for me to believe that I went to the trouble to put that picture in my book so that everyone could find a common starting place, but it has been taken so lightly.

Guess maybe I need to put out a trail of bread crumbs or something.

Good Luck, Be Safe

Robert L. Gifford

PS

Trigace hit the nail on the head when he made reference to TOBATS/TOIWATS. My son and I were going to come up there and do a picture essay just over a year ago, but he was killed in a tragic car wreck. Maybe I will still do it someday.
Robert Gifford

Post Number:#17  Postby sanpete » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. sanpet
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpete

Post Number:#18  Postby Tanelorn » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Mr. Gifford,

My condolences to you and your family. A parent should never have to say goodbye to their child.

Take care,

Daniel
Nestradetu@Hotmail.com
Tanelorn

Post Number:#19  Postby KsTHer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:04 pm

I am sorry to hear that, Robert. My condolences.
KsTHer

Post Number:#20  Postby zelph » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Robert Gifford wrote:
Trigace hit the nail on the head when he made reference to TOBATS/TOIWATS. My son and I were going to come up there and do a picture essay just over a year ago, but he was killed in a tragic car wreck. Maybe I will still do it someday.

Do it this year in remembrance of your son.

It was something the two of you were going to do, so make it happen with him in your thoughts and heart.

Families can be together forever....ask me how.
ZELPHS-STOVEWORKS Home of quality lightweight backpacking stoves. AND Burrows Lowery Cave
zelph

Post Number:#21  Postby roughrockxxx » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:05 pm

I don't think it was taken as lightly as you might think. A few of us have searched pretty hard. We just don't have the geology background to follow you train of thought through out the chapters of your book. I think even someone with a background would have somewhat of a hard time. Seems like you did post a while back that someone had been emailing you about their searches and was getting pretty close on your clues but not close enough for you to be worried
roughrockxxx

Return to Carre-Shinob