Utah man finds underground passage under field rocks

Discussions focused on other caves ...

Utah man finds underground passage under field rocks

Post Number:#1  Postby Gohot » Wed May 03, 2017 4:31 pm

The title should jog some memories I hope. Anyway as I remember the story goes something like this. A fella was plowing his field or some such thing (working the ground) and came upon a couple rock slabs in the field. Wanting to move them, he flipped one over to discover a passage leading down with steps cut in the dirt, or so it appeared. Then for some reason he was scared away and sealed up the passage with the rock again and ......... that's about all I recall. I want to say it was in southern Utah, down Beaver or Cedar City way.

Can anyone bring me up to speed...... Randy Bradford, do you know ??
Gohot

Re: Utah man finds underground passage under field rocks

Post Number:#2  Postby Randy Bradford » Thu May 11, 2017 1:44 pm

Not off hand, sounds a lot like a story farther North where the Sword of Laban was supposedly found. I THINK that was near Alpine, but my sense of direction could be sorely mistaken.
Randy Bradford

Post Number:#3  Postby zelph » Sun May 14, 2017 11:40 am

The Sword of Laban can be found in the Hill Cumorah, guarded by powers beyond imagination ;)
ZELPHS-STOVEWORKS Home of quality lightweight backpacking stoves. AND Burrows Lowery Cave
zelph

Post Number:#4  Postby Gohot » Sat May 20, 2017 6:28 pm

And that led me to here

http://archival.link/mormoncave/sources

Oliver Cowdery went with the Prophet Joseph when he deposited these plates. Joseph did not translate all of the plates; there was a portion of them sealed, which you can learn from the Book of Doctrine and Covenants. When Joseph got the plates, the angel instructed him to carry them back to the hill Cumorah, which he did. Oliver says that when Joseph and Oliver went there, the hill opened, and they walked into a cave, in which there was a large and spacious room. He says he did not think, at the time, whether they had the light of the sun or artificial light; but that it was just as light as day. They laid the plates on a table; it was a large table that stood in the room. Under this table there was a pile of plates as much as two feet high, and there were altogether in this room more plates than probably many wagon loads; they were piled up in the corners and along the walls. The first time they went there the sword of Laban hung upon the wall; but when they went again it had been taken down and laid upon the table across the gold plates; it was unsheathed, and on it was written these words: "This sword will never be sheathed again until the kingdoms of this world become the kingdom of our God and his Christ." I tell you this as coming not only from Oliver Cowdery, but others who were familiar with it, and who understood it just as well as we understand coming to this meeting, enjoying the day, and by and by we separate and go away, forgetting most of what is said, but remembering some things. So is it with other circumstances in life. I relate this to you, and I want you to understand it. I take this liberty of referring to those things so that they will not be forgotten and lost. Carlos Smith was a young man of as much veracity as any young man we had, and he was a witness to these things. Samuel Smith saw some things, Hyrum saw a good many things, but Joseph was the leader.

Actually the first I have heard of this aspect. I had come to discount Mormon claims and legends. Everything is suspect. :8): :geek: :ugeek: :~8
Gohot

Post Number:#5  Postby zelph » Sat May 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Gohot, I remember you saying: It all comes down to curiosity and faith. "If it exists, and is a Holy site, then that should be respected and honored."
Now apply that to the Hill Cumorah because I said the Sword of Laban resides there and the Hill is Sacred... And a Holy Site... And under the Creator/God's protection. God would have no problem exacting judgment or keeping it hidden from the eyes of Man, except for those (Holy men/priests) ordained to protect and serve the site.(sound familiar) ;)
ZELPHS-STOVEWORKS Home of quality lightweight backpacking stoves. AND Burrows Lowery Cave
zelph

Post Number:#6  Postby sanpete » Sun May 21, 2017 9:59 am

Gohot wrote:And that led me to here

http://archival.link/mormoncave/sources

Oliver Cowdery went with the Prophet Joseph when he deposited these plates. Joseph did not translate all of the plates; there was a portion of them sealed, which you can learn from the Book of Doctrine and Covenants. When Joseph got the plates, the angel instructed him to carry them back to the hill Cumorah, which he did. Oliver says that when Joseph and Oliver went there, the hill opened, and they walked into a cave, in which there was a large and spacious room. He says he did not think, at the time, whether they had the light of the sun or artificial light; but that it was just as light as day. They laid the plates on a table; it was a large table that stood in the room. Under this table there was a pile of plates as much as two feet high, and there were altogether in this room more plates than probably many wagon loads; they were piled up in the corners and along the walls. The first time they went there the sword of Laban hung upon the wall; but when they went again it had been taken down and laid upon the table across the gold plates; it was unsheathed, and on it was written these words: "This sword will never be sheathed again until the kingdoms of this world become the kingdom of our God and his Christ." I tell you this as coming not only from Oliver Cowdery, but others who were familiar with it, and who understood it just as well as we understand coming to this meeting, enjoying the day, and by and by we separate and go away, forgetting most of what is said, but remembering some things. So is it with other circumstances in life. I relate this to you, and I want you to understand it. I take this liberty of referring to those things so that they will not be forgotten and lost. Carlos Smith was a young man of as much veracity as any young man we had, and he was a witness to these things. Samuel Smith saw some things, Hyrum saw a good many things, but Joseph was the leader.

Actually the first I have heard of this aspect. I had come to discount Mormon claims and legends. Everything is suspect. :8): :geek: :ugeek: :~8

I am going to catch hell for this but I beleave that the Hill Cumorah is where just about or all of the plates of the church is stored. Not Manti Temple Hill. sanpete
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpete

Post Number:#7  Postby Gohot » Mon May 22, 2017 9:58 am

zelph wrote:Gohot, I remember you saying: It all comes down to curiosity and faith. "If it exists, and is a Holy site, then that should be respected and honored."
Now apply that to the Hill Cumorah because I said the Sword of Laban resides there and the Hill is Sacred... And a Holy Site... And under the Creator/God's protection. God would have no problem exacting judgment or keeping it hidden from the eyes of Man, except for those (Holy men/priests) ordained to protect and serve the site.(sound familiar) ;)

zelph you are right. I have said I do not believe in the Mormon faith. But that position has been challenged on an occasion or two. When artifacts are found that lend themselves towards Mormon Pre-history. Then that is to say, with ancient up to current times, one must assign veracity to A people or a Faith or the occupants at the time.

I still don't find the link with Meso-American cultures. I had thought that Mormons had borrowed on those epocs claiming them their root origin.
I will hold my judgment for now.
Gohot

Post Number:#8  Postby zelph » Wed May 24, 2017 11:24 am

Gohot wrote:
I still don't find the link with Meso-American cultures. I had thought that Mormons had borrowed on those epocs claiming them their root origin.
I will hold my judgment for now.

I'm afraid not. You've been ill informed. Randy Bradford can update you on the facts. He's the only Mormon still around here and in your neck-o-the woods that has any knowledge of the LDS faith and origin.
zelph

Post Number:#9  Postby Gohot » Wed May 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Mormonism was a hurdle for me, and I am not one. Still, we are basing much if not a whole lot of the stories around areas of settlement by Mormons. A lot of Utah pre-history seems to be missing. This sword of Laban is new in the direction we have been going. I'll have to read up on that.
Gohot

Return to Caves, Other