Underground Wonderland

Discussions focused on other caves ...

Underground Wonderland

Post Number:#1  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Even today, humans can't help but jazz up caves. The Reed Flute caves in the Guangxi Province of China are illuminated with colored lights to highlight their formations.
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Showy Cavern

Post Number:#2  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:08 pm

Borgio Verezzi cavern in Italy was discovered by three young boys in 1933. It's now open for the public to view the stalactite and stalagmite formations inside.
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Like a Flowing Stone

Post Number:#3  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:10 pm

A cave wall on the island of Antiparos, Greece. Cave formations such as stalactites and stalagmites are known by geologists as "speleothems."
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Hidden World

Post Number:#4  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:10 pm

The Mulu Caves in Borneo are some of the most expansive on Earth. Carved out of limestone in Gunung Mulu National Park, the caves span at least 225 miles (362 kilometers) of underground passages.
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Sulphur Cave

Post Number:#5  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:11 pm

The Kaklik cave in Turkey is fed by sulphur-filled waters, which create these white formations not unlike those seen at Mammoth Springs in Yellowstone National Park. The water's sulphur content gives these caves a stinky rotten-egg smell.
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Frozen Rock

Post Number:#6  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Stalactites drip from the ceiling in a cave in the Dordogne region of France. These rock formations form when mineral-laden water drips through the cave, leaving behind calcium carbonate or other minerals. Water that falls onto the ground below from the growing stalactite can form stalagmites. When these ground formations meet up with the ceiling formations, the result is a "column."
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Blue Hole

Post Number:#7  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:12 pm

The "blue caves" along the Greek island of Zakynthos are accessible only by sea. Sunlight reflecting off the water gives these caves their blue hue, making them popular for boating and diving.
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Leaving a Mark

Post Number:#8  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Paleolithic cave paintings in Argentina. In Cueva de las Manos (Cave of the Hands) in Patagonia, people decorated cave walls with handprints at least 9,000 years ago.
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Polychrome Hall, Altamira

Post Number:#9  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Rocky Polychrome Hall in Altamira Cave has been compared to a Paleolithic Sistine Chapel because of its decorated ceiling.
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Altamira Cave Deer

Post Number:#10  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:14 pm

A deer painted in Altamira Cave's "Polychrome Hall," a passage full of red ochre Paleolithic paintings. To the lower left are sensors to measure temperature and humidity in the cave.
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Altamira Bison

Post Number:#11  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:16 pm

A painted bison on the ceiling of Altamira cave in Spain. The cave is closed to the public because human incursions have caused damage to the 14,000-year-old paintings.
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Re: Underground Wonderland

Post Number:#12  Postby casca159 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks for sharing, very nice.
casca159

Post Number:#13  Postby littlered » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:21 am

I agree, a very nice set of pictures. Things I would never have seen otherwise. I don't get out much you know. littlered
littlered

Post Number:#14  Postby Lostaslost » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Now Whyte this is interesting here. I think I have seen all of the painted ones in books before and guess I still would have the books. I know I did not get rid of them. Everyone in this area knows there is 100's of overhangs at the National Park South of Maob by quiet a ways with all kinds of handf prints slaped on the walls and tops and right off hand I can not even think of the name. of the park. I have been into a few caves and then the one at American Fork. I have been in Carlsbad Caverns in NM and this is naturally beautiful. Certainly at American Fork it was also. Other caves that I can not think of the names of them.

Now for the key question here. What in the world is the Rhoades Mine going to look like down inside it? 100 pounds of silver hacked off of the walls. Then you got the Bishops description. What else is not said at all? I always wanted to see this. Of course I might know just a little bit more but certainly I never went below. This is no ones fault but my own. I know the Utes are still laughing at me.

This is something that everyone should be thinking about. I do not know if the original Garcia info gathered from The Garcia family by Gale Rhoades and steve Shaffer said a thing about that. This is the info that is floating around here and there and yes I know and or guess that June still has all of it together. You have had to see it Whyte. What kind of description does it give?

Take care
Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#15  Postby Iconic » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:19 pm

You just have to admire natures art, of course the special lighting helps out a great deal too :~d
Iconic

Post Number:#16  Postby Tanelorn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Great pictures, thanks Whyte Eagle.

Take care,

Daniel
Nestradetu@Hotmail.com
"Pack it in, pack it out. Keep our wilderness pristine."
Tanelorn

Return to Caves, Other