Spanish in western Utah?

Discussion of Spanish groups and exploration around the world ...

Spanish in western Utah?

Post Number:#1  Postby Mike » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:46 pm

Does anyone have any accounts of the Spanish working the west desert of Utah?
Mike

Re: Spanish in western Utah?

Post Number:#2  Postby geogeek » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:10 am

I would like to know this too!

I am from the Four Corners area and have seen things that many people on this forum want to see. I will share, but there is a butt pucker factor due to laws that stifle information gathered in a time the laws did not exist and I was a child. Get me cleared and I will share. Remember, I love you all.
geogeek

Post Number:#3  Postby Boulderman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:11 pm

I read somewhere that a Spanish sluice box and some tools were found out in Amasa Valley which is west of Delta. The tools are supposed to be on display in a museum in Delta.

I have spent alot of time in the west desert and I would be surprised if the Spanish did not go there. I personally think there was alot more water in the desert back then because in my life I can remember when Cherry Creek in the west tintics supported fish all year round and now it drys up most years. I've also found more gold out in the west desert than anywhere else in Utah.
Boulderman

Post Number:#4  Postby geogeek » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:07 pm

Yes, I know a lot of men and women that are aware of what exists from Pacific to Atlantic. There iis s some simple stuff we need get around like keylogging and spying on each other Things will become simple tien. I have much to say. I try to keep things simple. Whyte, crash the toads I see the activity. My keys get stupid and i get frustrated and piissed.
geogeek

Post Number:#5  Postby Mike » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:14 pm

Mike

Post Number:#6  Postby proberod » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:48 am

Could it be a surveyors intial point ? They are similular in Ok.[
proberod

Post Number:#7  Postby sanpet » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:28 am

proberod wrote:Could it be a surveyors intial point ? They are similular in Ok.[

No. Just bored sheepherder's.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpet

Post Number:#8  Postby sanpet » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:43 am

I was just in Amasa Basin yesterday Amasa is in the House Range west of Delta, Utah. You go about 45 miles west of Delta on 6 abd 50. There is a sign there to turn to your right (north) Any of them roads will take you to interesting things to see. The House Range does have gold and there are several old mines out there. Be carefull.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpet

Post Number:#9  Postby Mike » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:43 pm

I've seen lots of the small piles of rocks that sheepherders make. They are usually not nearly as big. These are about eight feet tall.
Mike

Post Number:#10  Postby Herb » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Herb

Post Number:#11  Postby sanpet » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:20 am

If one was to go on Skyline Drive on the Manti east of Ephraim, Utah out on Buck Ridge you will fine several rock piles like pitcherd above. They were made by Peruvian sheep herders in the late 1960's and early 1970's.
sanpet

Post Number:#12  Postby Mike » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks Herb. That's some good information.
Mike

Post Number:#13  Postby uthunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:20 pm

I believe they did, though there are no records they did.

15+ yrs ago I did predator control for several ranchers in Box Elder county, UT. In the mountains to the North and West of the Great Salt lake, there are several sites with definite Spanish markings. They most likely did silver mining out there, though there is gold in a number of areas as well. There are several locations in the Wildcat Hills area that have evidence of very old mining activity, at least 100 yrs or more in my opinion.

I spent almost ten yrs doing predator control and spent many days and nights in the north-west end of the GSL area. A lot of the sites/signs I saw, were on private land and the owners did not allow any public access at any time, the sites on their land are in good shape with no sign of vandalism.

You should be able to find signs in the Lakeside mtns, the Newfoundland mtns, the Grassy mtns, the Silver Island mtns, and the Hogup Range; since there are silver mines and claims out there (some claims go back to the late 1800's, with evidence of mining much earlier). My uncle used to prospect out there, and had several silver claims in the Newfoundland mtn range, I went several times when I was about 9 or 10 yrs old (that was almost forty yrs ago). He had a claim in the flat of one valley (out by the Cedar mtns) that he pulled nice silver/lead ore out of, it was just a hole in the ground that went down about twenty ft or so and then a tunnel for a ways.

Watch out for the bombing range, the air force doesn't like you trespassing at all, they have no sense of humor.

On the North end of the GSL, there are some nice petroglyphs that look like there is Spanish markings mixed in.

My uncle has dementia (he is 73 yrs old) so I can not get much info from him, just what his wife has told me. She does not remember very much about the areas or where the claims were. She got rid of all his notes, maps, and etc.
uthunter

Return to Spanish