Spanish Breast Plate found

Discussions centered around Spanish artifacts from around the world ...

Spanish Breast Plate found

Post Number:#1  Postby Terry L Carter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 am

Here is a story I wrote some years ago when I had my web site the Treasure Hunters Hideout. Most of you know this story already, but for those who haven't heard it here it is.

There has been a lot of interesting things found in the Uinta Mountains, wether this Spanish breast plate was found there or not, I guess we will probably never know. A friend of mine brought it over for me to look at, he said that his brother had found it in a dumpster in Heber Utah. This suit of armor is really the back plate, who knows if the front plate was there in the dumpster with it, and who knows why it was there in the first place. Maybe some old boy found it, in some long since forgotten mine shaft, and brought it home not knowing anything about the Spanish miners, then when he passed on, maybe his kids were cleaning up his house and taking care of his belongings and came across this back plate, and not knowing what it was, just threw it away with his other belongings that they didn't consider valuable. Like I said we may never know the real story. If you do happen to have some insight on this piece of armor please e-mail me and let me know, thanks.
Attachments
breastpl.jpg
breastpl.jpg (11.04 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Terry L Carter

Re: Spanish Breast Plate found

Post Number:#2  Postby sanpet » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Terry there was a breast plate and a soard found in the north east part of Sanpete county in the 1870s. It was taken to SLC and was on display in the LDS history building. Then it became magic and diapeard.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpet

Post Number:#3  Postby Terry L Carter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:55 pm

I didn't know about that Sanpet, thanks.
I was told by Mr. Stevens that someone he new found a Spanish helmet on the west side of The Sanpete valley back in the 70's.
Terry L Carter

Post Number:#4  Postby sanpet » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Terry L Carter wrote:I didn't know about that Sanpet, thanks.
I was told by Mr. Stevens that someone he new found a Spanish helmet on the west side of The Sanpete valley back in the 70's.

Terry that helmet was found way before I was born 1943. The one you talk about must be another one. One was found due west of Ephraim.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
sanpet

Post Number:#5  Postby Uley Bauer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:29 pm

These stories give adventure an odd feel. Usually they start out "Have it on good authority.... Or I know somebody that knows somebody that said...." There's never any substance to give believability to the reader. Just saying this site should be reserved for something more serious.
Uley Bauer

Post Number:#6  Postby Terry L Carter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:31 am

Uley Bauer wrote:These stories give adventure an odd feel. Usually they start out "Have it on good authority.... Or I know somebody that knows somebody that said...." There's never any substance to give believability to the reader. Just saying this site should be reserved for something more serious.

There is nothing real a lot of fraud goes on, unless you personally find it you don't know its real. And even then how do you know someone didn't fraud it and leave it for you to find, I know of a case where that happened.
Terry L Carter

Post Number:#7  Postby Uley Bauer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Inadvertently got wind of a Spanish Breast plate found near Sacramento California some years back! Story was in the local newspaper? I only mention this as a point of interest because I believed the person telling it!
Uley Bauer

Post Number:#8  Postby KsTHer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:16 am

Terry,

Could it have been found reasonably soon after George Thompson passed away? George was from Heber, I believe. Do you have any time frame for its being pulled from the dumpster? Just a guess on my part...
KsTHer

Post Number:#9  Postby Terry L Carter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:57 am

It was found probably a year or two after George passed away. I don't think it was part of his stuff, because a lot of his stuff went to Ken Sanders. Also they had a garage sale where the rest of Georges stuff was sold.
Terry L Carter

Post Number:#10  Postby KsTHer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks, Terry.
KsTHer

Post Number:#11  Postby Uley Bauer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:19 am

SCARY TALK!!! Garage sales where strangers come up to your wife after you've departed & say, "Will you take a couple of dollars for this old stuff?" Now all those treasured souvenirs have been reduced to 'old stuff!'
Uley Bauer

Post Number:#12  Postby KsTHer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Sad to say that anything from old relics to rare coins can be considered as "old stuff" to one's kids and spouse. On the bright side of it, others have old relics and rare coins that their spouse and kids consider as "old stuff" too! I guess it is a two edged sword. That is why I like to check out the occasional estate sale, garage sale or flea market sale. Good luck if you choose to check them out. Some real decent artifacts can be found this way.
KsTHer

Return to Spanish Artifacts