Heres a good one to translate....

Discussions of ancient petroglyphs and related items ...

Heres a good one to translate....

Post Number:#1  Postby Blke36bimmer » Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:14 am

So last summer ~Sassynifer~ and I found an rock wall that was full of petros-- This is one of the better panels...any one want to try and translate???

Blke36bimmer
e36bimmer
Blke36bimmer

Panel Location

Post Number:#2  Postby Whyte Eagle » Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:18 am

Is this panel out in the west side of the State? It looks like the style I've seen on the west side of Utah Lake .....
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Translate...............

Post Number:#3  Postby GiantSerpent » Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:53 pm

There's variations to some of these petroglyphs found in Utah, Nevada and California, mostly found in the dry arid climates and points of where there was at one time lot's of water, or ancient glacial lakes or inland oceans. Suprisingly enough, they conjure memories of where there was a great abundance of wildlife...............
GiantSerpent

Pics from GIANTSERPENT .....

Post Number:#4  Postby GiantSerpent » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:26 pm

GiantSerpent

Post Number:#5  Postby GiantSerpent » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:26 pm

GiantSerpent

Post Number:#6  Postby GiantSerpent » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:26 pm

GiantSerpent

Post Number:#7  Postby GiantSerpent » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:27 pm

GiantSerpent

Post Number:#8  Postby GiantSerpent » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:28 pm

GiantSerpent

Re: Can You Translate This..........

Post Number:#9  Postby GiantSerpent » Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:24 am

As stated before, these glyphs are memory rocks of time that once existed long, long in the past of great hunts, great fish, great waters, land of fowl, waterfowl and the people that existed at that time, of which probably were different from the present Indians. These ~Magic Boards~ were probably no more than just Boats. Alot of Rock Art is just that, it's ~ART~ or a form of communication. Their is some meaning behind some illustrations that is known universally, while at the same time, none for the others-which must have been related to Van Gogh, which they created in the act of being creative, much the way we do today like doodling. However, with that said, amongst alot of these glyphs, are glyphs or signs of which appear to be very active intelligently, or set in a like ~puzzle~. The following 5 pic's that Whyte Eagle put up for me (Thanks Whyte) are as follows; 1., Guy on Surfoard, (well, that's just a I.D. for the Pic), 2., Spiritual Hunt, 3., Sheep and Giraffe? (I know, the Sheep looks like a doggy and the giraffe looks like a.....,well a Giraffe!) 4., The Bird Claw, ofcourse this ain't a petroglyph, more like a land monument, but the Bird Claw Mark (or sign) is found numerously in petroglyphs scattered across the Southwest, 5., On the Left is a ?, middle is the Board, right is the guy on the surfboard. Now let's go back, backwards, the last pic,.....On the left is ?, actually I turned this pic upside down to show you the possibility, between this and the Pic ~Can You Translate This~, this pic is of a Bug.......or....a sacred Bug...Beetle...like a Scarab (ya know, like Egyptian stuff), then the Board, probably a ~BOAT~, then the Surfer, which actually is a Sun Sign, Sun God Type, to his right is a figure, a line running straight up and down with circles on both ends, that's a Serpent Sign and the cradle the Sun God is on, is a Direction Arrow denoting the Serpent. 4., Bird Claw, there's a little bit more to this one,....From Frances Perry, 1894, ~Sacred Symbols and Numbers of Aboriginal America in Ancient and Modern Times~, Page 8 and I quote, ~Symbols are more ancient than traditions, generally, more to be relied on, and may take us back thousands of years-in tracing their inception. Moreover, the so-called bird claw mark, of three strokes radiating over a segment of a circle, has been found in Tennessee mounds, is worn on Moqui masks, and on their bread-stones; Peruvian sun-marked Chipin-ware just recieved, declares it to be the abundance sign." Well, we know, that this sign is abundant in the American West as well. 3., Sheep and Giraffe....Well, if it ain't a Giraffe, I don't know what it is........2., Deer Hunt, actually I think this is a Spiritual Hunt, noting the spirit-type figures aligned with the Buck, which could be all kinds of things, including of what is actually depicted, but also, to me, could be like a quest or a hunt for knowledge. 1., Back to the surfer..........Well, it doesn't take alot of imagination to see that this figure is remarkably like the other two at the beginning pic of ~Can You Translate This~?....Well, this is kind of like reading Whyte Eagles Pic of the MAP ROCK in a different Forum, like somehow, it's not quite all there, there's enough to start with, but not enough to finish, although it's VERY INTERESTING.....................
GiantSerpent

Re: Can You Translate This..........

Post Number:#10  Postby YutaTatanka » Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:43 am

I think that it could be said that there are two different kinds of carvings in rock. There are signs and symbols that merely display elements of the carver's life (like animals they hunted or pics representing them or others around them). But there are also those that actually SAY something, much like egyptian hieroglyphics tell a story or history, these tell as well. These latter are the ones that I find the most interesting, however, the first kind can often be very beautiful in their own respects.

YutaTatanka
YutaTatanka

Re: Panel Location

Post Number:#11  Postby Blke36bimmer » Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:40 am

Its actually in the south-- far, far south, Our annual trip down there occurs in Nov. Id be happy to show you where they are along with a lot more if you are free around that time.. LMK!! Oh and thanks for the pic help!! Sassy laughed at me all day yesterday because of the huge pic on the UtahTreasure board......guess who is laughing now!! Image

Blke36bimmer

Send mail to the inverted Porcupine

Blke36bimmer

Post Number:#12  Postby lostreasureman » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:15 pm

those are some kool glyphs man you say they are down in the extreme southern part of utah?Image lostreasureman-- pontiac11@hotmail.com
Lost Treasure Man
pontiac11@hotmail.com

lostreasureman

Re: Heres a good one to translate....

Post Number:#13  Postby Simbio » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:27 pm

I've seen petroglyphs like that before, but they weren't way down south.........but Whyte already said that.......
Simbio

Post Number:#14  Postby YutaTatanka » Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:20 am

Yeah, how far down south are you talkin about? Can you post the general area, just to get an idea?

YutaTatanka
YutaTatanka

Post Number:#15  Postby Blke36bimmer » Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:07 am

Shoot me an email and I'll send you directions!!

Blke36bimmer

Send mail to the inverted Porcupine

Blke36bimmer

Re: Pics from GIANTSERPENT .....

Post Number:#16  Postby Southern Utah » Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:43 am

Looks like a hippie stopped to leave a message
Southern Utah

Re: Heres a good one to translate....

Post Number:#17  Postby Digger » Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:48 am

Yo Bimmer.......I can tell ya there is most likely a cave nearby that panel.....either that or it is the 2 comandments...

Digger
Digger

Post Number:#18  Postby Southern Utah » Sun Apr 28, 2002 5:42 pm

Bimmer, are they in the St. George or Blanding area. I'm in St. George and interested in follow up if in my area.
Southern Utah

Return to Petroglyphs