Anyone seen this?

Discussions of ancient petroglyphs and related items ...

Anyone seen this?

Post Number:#1  Postby PuddleMaker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Found this near a small tipi village site.The tipi site would be 100 yrs+ but not sure if this rock art is that old, but it is out of the weather and sun. Found it over 20 yrs ago, finally went back to get a photo.

PuddleMaker

Re: Anyone seen this?

Post Number:#2  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:14 pm

That's a very interesting image you have there PuddleMaker ... a combination of carving and relief to give a semi 3-d effect. It also almost looks like from your image that the neck area has worn a little more or maybe was there first and then added to with the rest to make the head?
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#3  Postby SteveNM46 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Looks like Ike.
SteveNM46

Post Number:#4  Postby Redcloud » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Ike?...........nah, nose to wide
More like Herb!
Redcloud

Post Number:#5  Postby Herb » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Watch your mouth Reddog.
Herb

Post Number:#6  Postby Iconic » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm assuming this is located somewhere in the south west?
Iconic

Post Number:#7  Postby Redcloud » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Herbert Hoover
Redcloud

Post Number:#8  Postby Tanelorn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Looks like a punk rocker with a mohawk.

Take care,

Daniel
Nestradetu@Hotmail.com
"Pack it in, pack it out. Keep our wilderness pristine."
Tanelorn

Post Number:#9  Postby PuddleMaker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Now I would be fool to tell where this is, especially if it was on the reservation.... On private land of course, not tribal. Makes me wonder about the artist. It hasnt shown any age since I first saw it although i thought it was new back then because of the "Punk Rocker" look. Maybe it was a different band of indians passing through or segregated by the others at the time of the reservation and this is a portrait of one of them. The location of this and the tipi site is very odd as it is isolated for a defensive or lookout purpose, also isolated from water access. The head may have no connection at all to the tipi site but it made me wonder if the eye was looking in a certain direction. My memory had misled me somewhat so that is why I went back for this new photo. I thought maybe some of you might have seen a similar carving. Again no way to tell the age as it is fairly safe from weather. But about the tipis, should a square spot indicate a sweat lodge? I am not sure if Utes or others have a difference on this. I Googled but it seemed round was the common shape, but what I have seen in use are more square as it is easier to build a structure able to hold heavier hides for insulation, more of a wiki-up. Anybody?...
PuddleMaker

Post Number:#10  Postby Lostaslost » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:30 am

PuddleMaker, since no one wants to say to much here I will say what people have told me concerning this stuff. Whyte you say how I am wrong here. Indians would not have done this. They only did small pecking and or paint. Someone else did this other than Indians although it certainly looks like a Indian that was carved. The way I am looking and seeing there is a warbonnet on top of its head and then long hair on his back shoulder. Could be that the Utes did not have this style I do not really know.

Lost
Lostaslost

Post Number:#11  Postby mrjimsfc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:06 pm

It looks more like a punk rocker with a mullet behind a spiked Mohawk.
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#12  Postby mrjimsfc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:57 pm

You know, sortta like this!
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#13  Postby mrjimsfc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Or maybe more like this?
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#14  Postby PuddleMaker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:17 pm

I actually thought it was done by a young artist trying to continue indian culture. When I found this in 1989 there was alot of young indians making their mark in the area. Gang tagging was spray painted on walls and especially oil well location tanks but all look like big city gang type marks. This does look like some artwork I have seen on paper by local indians but never in stone. Notice the proportions of the face are good but the neck looks long? And a shirt line?....Ever wonder why the ancient Indians like Freemont and Anasazi petroglyphs and paintings were so rudimentary and basic like childrens artwork? Wouldn't they have been better like this Mohawk Man? If the men were warriors and hunters then they wouldn't have time to write on ledges and rocks and the women were working around the tipis and raising kids and cooking and such. This leaves the kids ...lots of stick figures and circles and drawings of Chief Daddy killing big deer...... Just ramblin some thoughts
PuddleMaker

Post Number:#15  Postby KsTHer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:56 pm

:89:
KsTHer

Post Number:#16  Postby mahalla22 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Its Raven. In Native mythology it is said that Raven from the North was white then Raven went South and became black. Raven of course was a code word for knight or warrior. Look closely at the center of his lower neck and see if you see what I see - an M with a diamond shape above, much like a symbol for modern day free-masonary.
mahalla22

Return to Petroglyphs