New to the forum anyone seen these petroglyphs?

Discussions of ancient petroglyphs and related items ...

New to the forum anyone seen these petroglyphs?

Post Number:#1  Postby noblesavage » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Yaateeh

I just found this forum while surfing, and thought I pose this question to you all. I took this picture years ago and was wondering if any of you have seen this or anything like it in your travels. I would be interested in what you might think it is. It was taken in southern Utah. the photo looks yellow because it was taken at night and a light was used with a long exposure so I could get the image. I have asked many people (scholars as well as average folk) about it, but have never found anyone who has seen it or anything like it. Have looked around the site a bit and find it very interesting I'll be back.

noblesavage

Re: New to the forum anyone seen these petroglyphs?

Post Number:#2  Postby mrjimsfc » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:55 am

Looks like something Bob Ho....... might have left down near Blanding in the late 50s.
"Nobody wants to listen to the voice of reason when there's a good hysteria to be had. Humans are like that."
mrjimsfc

Post Number:#3  Postby Whyte Eagle » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Welcome to the Ancient Lost Treasures NobleSavage!

Thanks for posting the image, it does remind me of styles found in the south western Colorado ... can't say that I've seen anything quite like it though ... what are your thoughts on it?
Whyte Eagle
Site Admin

Post Number:#4  Postby noblesavage » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:39 am

This is located in southwestern Utah. To me it looks like a book with the rainbow above it depicting its color (roYgbiv). Not sure what the rainbow with a dot underneath it means (and eye maybe). Would be interested in finding out if there are other petroglyphs similar to this one.

Sam
noblesavage

Post Number:#5  Postby Uley Bauer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:36 pm

The big horn sheep glyph is common in parts of California & Nevada. I've seen them pecked on rocks & boulders that are covered in desert varnish. I understand they are mostly located near actual hunting sites such as trails thru passes & so on.
Uley Bauer

Post Number:#6  Postby PTCarroll » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:26 am

I would say it looks like a typical basketmaker petroglyph, of a man and a sheep. The lines seem to be common above the heads of the people. Lots of this down around Bluff, for example.
PTCarroll

Post Number:#7  Postby Redcloud » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:54 am

A book or tablet buried or stored far back in a hill or mountain; this is indicated by the dot with several semi-circles above it.
the quadreped seems to be depicting humility, the bird or dove represents an object of a spiritual nature,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who knows?
Redcloud

Return to Petroglyphs